PDA

View Full Version : Be very quiet, it's aiptasia killing time. (with a laser)!

ReeferKimberly
01/26/2013, 03:53 PM
Picked up this 1.2W (1200mw) blue laser from Lazerer.com to go on some aiptasia hunts without getting my hands wet. My snowflake eel eats all peppermint shrimp and well berghia nudibranch....well they eat em all and then die off so it's difficult to keep a balance. I don't have a large enough tank for aiptasia eating fish and/or the certain fish I am afraid would eat my corals too, so a laser it is! Got it in 4 days and just had my first kills. Soooooo satisfying! Takes about a minute in my 78 degree water. I turned off all circulation to help as well. That is with uncharged batteries. I believe it will be stronger once they are fully charged, according to everything I have read. So I would not go over 45 seconds on....that is the recommended amount of time before it might be damaged. 1000mw/1watt versions can be on a bit longer, about a minute.

A warning, DO NOT use this kind of laser without safety goggles, do not let anyone around it but you or someone else using it for this purpose with goggles. Be mindful of pets and aware of who is around when using it, one glance into the laser and bam you are blind for life, and it can reflect off things and blind people in that way as well. And of course, do NOT point it at the sky unless you want to go to prison.

Aside from that, kills aiptasia like a BEAST! Unfortunately my camera just captures the aiptasia before I killed it and after it's dead. In between the laser light is really strong. I have seen other videos where it's more clear while it's happening but my camera sucks.

1aewhMfY71I

Here is the first video, I will get a better one later. I have a bigger aiptasia in mind for the next one. I hadn't charged the batteries though before I shot this so it took longer than expected. There are lots of videos on youtube though of lasers killing aiptasia....I don't know why more people don't just bite the bullet and buy one. I am also going to use it on xenia and anything else I want to kill. Total came to under $150. I have already killed about 10 in 20 min but I need to charge batteries for the bigger dudes.

gone fishin
01/26/2013, 04:00 PM
Nice very nice.:uzi:

ReeferKimberly
01/26/2013, 04:07 PM
Now I have never had the urge to kill an animal before....but....just.....aiptasia don't count, this is too fun!

gone fishin
01/26/2013, 04:18 PM
I wish I could give it a try.

brettinteriors
01/26/2013, 04:29 PM
is this the one?

http://lazerer.com/blue-laser-pointer/lzsk-stick-445nm-1200w-focusable-blue-laser-pointer

ReeferKimberly
01/26/2013, 04:32 PM
is this the one?

http://lazerer.com/blue-laser-pointer/lzsk-stick-445nm-1200w-focusable-blue-laser-pointer

That's the one :D

Holyreefer
01/26/2013, 04:36 PM
is this the one?

How did it work out?

ReeferKimberly
01/26/2013, 04:38 PM
Works great, if you mean me.

In the vid you can see the aiptasia before and after the laser if you pause at the start for just a second. I am waiting until the batteries are fully charged and I will take a video killing the largest aiptasia I have. Also, I am going to see how it does with xenia. I read it will kill that too. I have some I don't need spreading any more.

Same laser, different video, better camera (not my video). I do not know why sometimes you hear the crackling and sometimes not. I seem to hear it in about 1/3 of people's videos.

lHXW2LDU_ow

brettinteriors
01/26/2013, 04:41 PM
Im tempted.

brettinteriors
01/26/2013, 04:44 PM
I wonder what it would do to gha

ReeferKimberly
01/26/2013, 04:44 PM
Im tempted.

I saw it and pretty much spent my birthday money in about 10 minutes on it.

Soon imma be the one with a freaking laser beam attached to my eel's head.....

ReeferKimberly
01/26/2013, 04:46 PM
I wonder what it would do to gha

No idea. I can test it on a tiny amount of bryopsis I have though. I bought just about everything that would eat algae for a recent outbreak but my urchin still likes to carry some around on him and every once in a while I have a strand here and there. For HA I would just get a wedge sea hare, and feed it nori when you run out of algae because ya will.

brettinteriors
01/26/2013, 04:48 PM
Did you get the more or less expensive glasses

ReeferKimberly
01/26/2013, 04:50 PM
I got the beginner green ones. As long as they are ok with this laser, 445nm 1.2 watt blue they will be ok. Red or green does not matter. I chose green because I thought I could probably distinguish the aiptasia better with them, and I can. The red would probably work fine, I just know I can vouch for the greens.

Ted_C
01/26/2013, 05:38 PM
I myself didn't trust the Lazerer company. Since 2011 - something happened in the government here in the U.S. to restrict laser sales of class IV lasers. Lots of lasers are confiscated by customs so the internet rumors go and I didn't want to risk losing money on a venture like that.

I did a little research on Laser Pointer forums and bought a 1.7W diode/driver combo from DTR (in the pro shop) and a host assembly from Survival Laser. All are in the U.S and had helped me choose the right equipment.

ReeferKimberly
01/26/2013, 05:44 PM
huh, didn't know there was an issue. I looked up a few places and arrived there because they had good ratings on other forums. It came through customs fine, but you never do know.

ReeferKimberly
01/26/2013, 05:49 PM
Oh and I payed extra for the more expensive and faster 3-5 day shipping.....but I don't know if that has anything to do with customs. You can track it, here is a screen shot. It doesn't say it's been delivered yet but it just came a bit ago.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/6941b03c56af31a7412e0b3604fdd297/tumblr_mh9bfpE9Lz1rddoc7o1_1280.png

I heard good things about lazerer and "survival lasers" like yours. I read to stay away from "wicked lasers"

Bigcefa
01/26/2013, 09:02 PM
Would there be any issues using this in a bow front tank?

ssick92
01/26/2013, 09:36 PM

Aim might be tricky, but shouldn't have any major issues I wouldn't think.

ReeferKimberly
01/26/2013, 09:37 PM

I have not heard of issues, but I am not an expert. I should have warned, I did read people warning about acrylic. So I am not sure if I would trust it with acrylic. There were different opinions but better safe than sorry.

As for the bowfront I guess the laser might bounce around a little? But you would be wearing goggles. The clear glass would not be an issue though just because it's curved, I don't 'think'.

shaginwagon13
01/26/2013, 09:48 PM
huh, didn't know there was an issue. I looked up a few places and arrived there because they had good ratings on other forums. It came through customs fine, but you never do know.

Is this laser more or less powerful then your?

http://www.wickedlasers.com.hk/arctic

Ted_C
01/26/2013, 10:17 PM
Wicked lasers are horribly rated. They may advertise one watt - but your lucky to get 700 mw (so the internet rumors go).

krzyphsygy
01/26/2013, 10:18 PM
So I have a question: If its dangerous for us to look at it and need protective glasses, how about the fish or eel in your tank could they have been injured by the laser beam from looking at it?

ReeferKimberly
01/26/2013, 10:18 PM
Is this laser more or less powerful then your?

http://www.wickedlasers.com.hk/arctic

It says 1W+. I guess that means a little higher than 1W. Mine is 1.2, which is higher. Ted's at 1.7 is higher than mine. You won't need much more than that unless it's quite a deep tank and many are waterproof....mine is, so I can go into the tank if I need to. That one is from wicked lasers, I heard bad things about their customer service but have no experience myself. I have just my good experience with Lazerer and Ted's from Survival Laser, both of which have good internet repuations as well. I am talking about laser forums, not reef ones in general...that is where I did my research.

http://laserpointerforums.com/

krzyphsygy
01/26/2013, 10:33 PM
So I have a question: If its dangerous for us to look at it and need protective glasses, how about the fish or eel in your tank could they have been injured by the laser beam from looking at it?

ReeferKimberly
01/26/2013, 10:36 PM

Yes. Mine stay away from it though. I read other people's did as well. (somewhere on here is quite a long thread I also read before I bought the laser).

The eel was in his hole on the other side and I sort of "corralled" the fish away with a plastic sheet.

If you can remove them, that's best. But as well all know that is not always possible.

shaginwagon13
01/26/2013, 10:44 PM
It says 1W+. I guess that means a little higher than 1W. Mine is 1.2, which is higher. Ted's at 1.7 is higher than mine. You won't need much more than that unless it's quite a deep tank and many are waterproof....mine is, so I can go into the tank if I need to. That one is from wicked lasers, I heard bad things about their customer service but have no experience myself. I have just my good experience with Lazerer and Ted's from Survival Laser, both of which have good internet repuations as well. I am talking about laser forums, not reef ones in general...that is where I did my research.

http://laserpointerforums.com/

My tank is 3 feet deep. Where can I buy the 1.7W laser?

ReeferKimberly
01/26/2013, 10:48 PM
My tank is 3 feet deep. Where can I buy the 1.7W laser?

I don't know exactly what you will need, as far as how high a number you need for what size tank. My 1.2 might be fine......But I don't know if that's solid information anywhere yet. I guess you would buy that here. Ted would know better than me. Looks like you maybe have to put them together with the parts? I don't see assembled ones....but this is the company.

http://www.survivallaserusa.com/storepage1667085.aspx

shaginwagon13
01/26/2013, 10:57 PM
I don't know exactly what you will need, as far as how high a number you need for what size tank. My 1.2 might be fine......But I don't know if that's solid information anywhere yet. I guess you would buy that here. Ted would know better than me. Looks like you maybe have to put them together with the parts? I don't see assembled ones....but this is the company.

http://www.survivallaserusa.com/storepage1667085.aspx

I guess this would be overkill? haha

http://www.warnlaser.com/green_laser/500mw_600mw.html

ReeferKimberly
01/26/2013, 11:04 PM
I guess this would be overkill? haha

http://www.warnlaser.com/green_laser/500mw_600mw.html

The lowest ones would not work, anything under 1watt (1000mh) really. Mine is 1200mw and Ted's is 1700mw. (edit: those prices are insane! There has got to be something weird going on....I think all of them are off by 1 digit, the first should be $54.99 (and would not work for this purpose) and the highest would be $147.99 for the 1.3 (1300mw) which would probably be fine) Research their reputation though, I have no idea. I purchased a power certificate for mine to make sure it really was 1.2w.

I just found this one from lazerer at 1.5watt (1500mw) I think you might need stronger goggles for this. Anyone planning on getting one just be safe, not to be taken lightly. I am locking people out of the room when I use it.

http://lazerer.com/blue-laser-pointer/rifle_445nm_1.5w_focusable_blue_laser_pointer

kidrobot
01/26/2013, 11:04 PM
Nice idea with the laser but very dangerous :D
I would pick one up if I have extra cash laying around.... :D

shaginwagon13
01/26/2013, 11:08 PM
No those are just 500mw and such. Mine is 1200mw and Ted's is 1700mw. So those are underkill really ;)

I just found this one from lazerer at 1.5watt (1500mw) I think you might need stronger goggles for this. Anyone planning on getting one just be safe, not to be taken lightly. I am locking people out of the room when I use it.

http://lazerer.com/blue-laser-pointer/rifle_445nm_1.5w_focusable_blue_laser_pointer

What about this one?

http://www.warnlaser.com/Laser_pointer/2w-blue-laser-445nm-1500mw-laser-pointer-luna-series

ReeferKimberly
01/26/2013, 11:15 PM
What about this one?

http://www.warnlaser.com/Laser_pointer/2w-blue-laser-445nm-1500mw-laser-pointer-luna-series

Anything really between 1W and 2W seems to work for our purposes. That one should be fine. I don't think I needed it any higher than 1.2W myself and I didn't have quite that much money, but that looks like a fine one as long as they have a good rep. (it seems companies frequently mislabled their actual output and it has to be right to compete with being in a tank of water, it has to get HOT)

shaginwagon13
01/26/2013, 11:18 PM
Anything really between 1W and 2W seems to work for our purposes. That one should be fine. I don't think I needed it any higher than 1.2W myself and I didn't have quite that much money, but that looks like a fine one as long as they have a good rep. (it seems companies frequently mislabled their actual output and it has to be right to compete with being in a tank of water, it has to get HOT)

Ya good point. How deep is your tank so I can use it as a reference because the laser you used worked very well.

ReeferKimberly
01/26/2013, 11:27 PM
Ya good point. How deep is your tank so I can use it as a reference because the laser you used worked very well.

Pretty sure mine is 20-21 inches without measuring. I never was a dimensions gal. I just buy em ready to go and let you boys make all your custom ones ;) So it's a standard/'tall' 65 gallon. I am charging my camera battery now, I took another video, will see how it turned out.

Dapg8gt
01/26/2013, 11:32 PM
Do you think this would work on palys? I have some cinnamon( poo poo brown) palys that were one of my first corals 13 years ago that I just can't get rid of on my main center piece rock. Impossible to remove without demolishing all my tank rock is huge and there is a lot of coral on it too. Very tempting I absolutely hate these things they just almost killed a superman encrusting monti cause a snail knocked the disk into the patch without me seeing.

Please say yes LOL.. Awesome video and idea.. Wish I would have known about this before when I had a serious mojano outbreak years ago. Sure this thing would smoke monano's too.

ReeferKimberly
01/26/2013, 11:34 PM
I am sure they would kill them....but i'd be worried about palytoxin in the tank. I have not read enough about that. I really don't have enough knowledge on the subject to risk your tank :/

ReeferKimberly
01/26/2013, 11:49 PM
Another vid I just took, a little better than the first.

xNxNwPJWcrY

Dapg8gt
01/26/2013, 11:56 PM
Thought about that too. Thinking if I do a few every couple days and keep the carbon fresh it should work. Couldnt be any worse than what I've done in the past lol(tweezers,scalpel etc..) so it just burns them? And do you notice the glass heat up at all?

I prob won't risk it but it is super cool.. Gonna send this thread to a friend of mine who is really successful at keeping aptasia. It's the rest of the coral he has issues with LOL.. Thanks for sharing

ReeferKimberly
01/27/2013, 12:01 AM
Nope, no glass heat up at all. The darker something is, the faster it burns. Like white plastic will melt from it slower than black plastic. Clear glass won't really even get warm. Acrylic....I can't remember everything I was reading.....but something in the acrylic absorbs it. Glass does not.

I have not tried it on a paly yet....but it just burns the aiptasia right up. I'm sure it would do the same for a paly.....I just don't advocate anything I am not familiar with so I have no idea if the paly would simply regrow from all the ones around it or about the palytoxin...etc etc. But I do know how things get out of hand and any solution can be better the alternative sometimes!

shaginwagon13
01/27/2013, 12:28 AM
Could you use the last to kill bubble algae??

ReeferKimberly
01/27/2013, 12:34 AM
I have read about killing bubble algae with it. I don't remember a definitive answer as to if it worked though. I will test some tomorrow and make a video if I can get a proper shot. I have just a couple bubbles.

shaginwagon13
01/27/2013, 12:39 AM
I have read about killing bubble algae with it. I don't remember a definitive answer as to if it worked though. I will test some tomorrow and make a video if I can get a proper shot. I have just a couple bubbles.

I placed the order for my laser gun lol

Hopefully it doesn't get confiscated at the border.

ReeferKimberly
01/27/2013, 12:41 AM
Don't forget the goggles! Have fun, it was hard for me to stop killing them while I waited for my camera batteries to charge ;)

shaginwagon13
01/27/2013, 12:45 AM
Don't forget the goggles! Have fun, it was hard for me to stop killing them while I waited for my camera batteries to charge ;)

lol goggles included in the package.

I can't wait haha

ReeferKimberly
01/27/2013, 01:02 AM
I just was reading about customs and lasers and a lot of people were saying it was the chargers and batteries snagging things up. If you can get it without those and then get them from radioshack maybe it would be good. Personally my batteries andd charger came through customs fine.

shaginwagon13
01/27/2013, 01:09 AM
I just was reading about customs and lasers and a lot of people were saying it was the chargers and batteries snagging things up. If you can get it without those and then get them from radioshack maybe it would be good. Personally my batteries andd charger came through customs fine.

Dam I wish I knew that 10 min ago when I ordered it. Its ok, hopefully it will come through fast.

ReeferKimberly
01/27/2013, 01:17 AM
You could probably email the company. If you ordered from Lazerer I have the email....he responds quickly. Or it's on the site.

Also I read (and this is all just people talking, same with the battery thing) that when you are tracking it with faster shipping it's better, getting through customs wise. "this is all just the words of strangers on laser sites"

Ted_C
01/27/2013, 08:09 AM
Turned into a nice thread! Shaginwagon - you also could have ordered a complete laser from http://www.survivallaser.com/ (their international store)

Your international locale (in Canada) has less restrictions.

BTW - love Toronto - worked at the Eaton Center building for a few months around the time of the last G20. Was it you (shaginwagon) who was banging on the door of the mall when it was closed? :)

ReeferKimberly - I really admire your posts for including the "internet rumors" disclaimers.

From what I understand - if a US manufacturer is selling to a US customer - then they must adhere to the new FDA regulations: http://www.fda.gov/Radiation-EmittingProducts/RadiationEmittingProductsandProcedures/HomeBusinessandEntertainment/LaserProductsandInstruments/default.htm

What I think has happened is reputable companies like Survival Laser are stuck in bureaucratic limbo with their paperwork and registrations. You can circumvent this by going to an international manufacturer but IMO your rolling the dice with possible fraud that cannot be prosecuted in the U.S and your not 100% legal (hence the seizure at Customs).

Also - in the US - its not illegal to point the laser in the sky - it is highly illegal to point it at any aircraft. I wouldn't ever do it - just sayin. You never know if some pilot is within eyeshot of the laser when you do that. We have another story in the news of an idiot who pointed a laser at a helicopter: http://www.clickorlando.com/news/Charges-filed-on-teen-who-pointed-laser-at-pilot/-/1637132/18293170/-/8a1yio/-/index.html

shaginwagon13
01/27/2013, 12:31 PM
Turned into a nice thread! Shaginwagon - you also could have ordered a complete laser from http://www.survivallaser.com/ (their international store)

Your international locale (in Canada) has less restrictions.

BTW - love Toronto - worked at the Eaton Center building for a few months around the time of the last G20. Was it you (shaginwagon) who was banging on the door of the mall when it was closed? :)

Ya Toronto is a great city I am glad you enjoyed it. And no, unfortunately I was not the one banging outside of the Eaton Center haha. For that week, I stayed clear of downtown Toronto apart from going to work..... it was insane.