PDA

View Full Version : plumbing question

neurosis05
01/26/2013, 06:55 PM
So I have a 90 gal cornerflow aquarium with a 40 gallon sump that is in my basement. I've had it set up for a few months now and all is well. Except for the noise coming from my drain, specifically the first 90 degree bend in the drain.

There is a total of four 90 degree bends in the line which is made from 2" PVC. The drain is approximately 20' in total length. It is set up at a slight angle so that I don't get any air bubbles trapped. I have my pump set at 605 gph but with head loss it is less (can't remember off the top of my head how much). Again most of the noise is coming from the first 90 degree elbow, the one closest to the DT and furthest from the sump.

The noise is from air mixing with water. I can see when it exits into my sump that there are a ton of air bubbles exiting the drain.

How can I quiet down the drain? I've tried setting it at a steeper angle in hopes that the air bubbles would escape easier and therefore quitter. It kinda worked. Basically it caused the water to drain in pulses. If you were to look in the overflow corner you would see the water slowly rise (this is when it was quiet) and then flush down the drain (causing a loud gurgle sound).

I have not tried to lessen the angle yet. I have also considered going with a different diameter pipe . My return is also 2" and makes no noise because there are no air bubbles. My pump is a reeflo BH 1100 and it does have a lower setting, I'd be around 375 gph. I realize air bubbles are good because the help aerate my water, but how can I quiet down my drain?
Thanks

neurosis05
01/26/2013, 08:12 PM
Update, I tried to switch my pump to its lowest setting but it didn't have enough guts to push against that much head pressure.

gaubow22
01/27/2013, 07:00 AM
Bean Animal, Herbie or Durso standpipe in the overflow? I have a 90 plumbed to my 40 in the basement as well. I used flex tubing so I have no 90's or 45's at all. When I set up the tank I used the second overflow as the emergency and just the main one for the overflow ( which is, I believe the Herbie) Works great for me. Have to "dial" it in once in a while. Make sure to use a gate valve.... not a ball valve if you go this route.

Reefahholic
01/27/2013, 07:19 AM
My beananimal is dead silent. Only thing I would have done differently is put the overflow box on outside of tank. Good luck!

neurosis05
01/28/2013, 10:49 AM
Sorry, I should have included that in the info first off. I guess I've always been kinda confused on the name of the overflow, I believe its a durso, but it looks a little different. Also my tank is a marineland cornerflow. The overflow is this one
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=218472&stc=1&d=1359391861

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=218474&d=1359391968
As you can see the siphon break might be a little to closer to the water level. it might be sucking too much water.
gaubow22; because you have two overflow did you just Y them together or did you run two separate pipes down to your sump? Also is your return just a hang on back style? I knew I should have went with flex tubing but got lazy :(

This seems to be a fairly common problem and I think I just need to do some more research and tinkering. Thanks guys

MrClam
01/28/2013, 11:05 AM
Ill have to second the Herbie overflow suggestion. I had a similar issue with noise from my overflow as it is in an area that gets heavy traffic. Set up a Herbie and would never go back. Dead silent and relatively easy to do. I would go with a gate valve for simplicity but as of now I have mine tuned using a ball valve. It is a little more difficult but certainly possible.

dannyp02908
01/28/2013, 01:46 PM
replace that standpipe with a true durso. plans are on the durso website. it will be much easier than trying to mod what you have in to a bean or herbie. I have dursos. They are nearly silent. My return pump is louder. I have to be right near the overflows to hear them.

neurosis05
01/28/2013, 03:16 PM
replace that standpipe with a true durso. plans are on the durso website. it will be much easier than trying to mod what you have in to a bean or herbie. I have dursos. They are nearly silent. My return pump is louder. I have to be right near the overflows to hear them.

Yeah I'll try this first, it will be the cheapest and easiest solution. But again most of the noise is coming from the first 90degree. this 90 is under the floor and in the basement laundry room where my sump resides. I can live with it, but would like to silent it if possile. Although I do get some noise coming from the overflow corner because the water moves from the tank and then falls about 3" into the overflow box. A true durso would help this for sure.

I see the instructions call for 1 1/4" pvc. My drain is 2" all the way. Should I redo my entire drain to match the standpipe? if so is there an issue with having a 2" return and a 1 1/4" drain? I need to use 2" return to compensate for the head loss