PDA

View Full Version : Going from 2-3 inches to a DSB? What should I expect?

Charley Diesing
01/27/2013, 12:20 AM
Currently I have a 40 breeder. But will be replacing it with a new 40 breeder with Bean-Animals over flow design + Blue back ground + DSB.

What I would like to do is use the 2-3 inches of sand I currently have + 3 inches more of the new sand I'm going to add.

Is there a way I can do this without causing a cycle or huge algae breakouts?

Should I start with completely new sand?

Should I add the new sand slowly?

Please let me know your thoughts,

Charley

hollister
01/27/2013, 12:55 AM
Adding only base sand. Use a long funnle to add. If its base then you should have no trouble.

Charley Diesing
01/27/2013, 12:58 AM
Adding only base sand. Use a long funnle to add. If its base then you should have no trouble.

What do you mean by base sand?

And by using a funnel should I add it slowly? Like over a period of days?

hollister
01/27/2013, 01:44 AM
Base sand has no life and needs no cycling. And yes adding over a few days would be best.

Charley Diesing
01/27/2013, 09:20 AM
Base sand has no life and needs no cycling. And yes adding over a few days would be best.

Gotcha yes I don't plan on adding any "live sand''..

But I am taken the sand out of my current display and putting it into a new display + adding new sand. So I am disturbing my current sand. But will it not have much of an effect on it because it is only 2-3 inches deep. And is not really a "DSB"?

thegrun
01/27/2013, 09:32 AM
If the current tank is more than 6 months old I would only reuse a couple of cups to reseed the new sand bed (place it in piles on top of the new sand, after a week you can flatten out the piles). When you remove the current sand bed, you are going to stir up a lot of detritus and trapped nutrients which can overwhelm your bacterias capacity to process and start a new cycle. If all new sand is a cost issue you can thoroughly clean the old sand, let it dry out in the sun and then reuse it, but given that it would still likely have some trapped nitrates and phosphates new sand is the way to go.

Charley Diesing
01/27/2013, 09:49 AM
If the current tank is more than 6 months old I would only reuse a couple of cups to reseed the new sand bed (place it in piles on top of the new sand, after a week you can flatten out the piles). When you remove the current sand bed, you are going to stir up a lot of detritus and trapped nutrients which can overwhelm your bacterias capacity to process and start a new cycle. If all new sand is a cost issue you can thoroughly clean the old sand, let it dry out in the sun and then reuse it, but given that it would still likely have some trapped nitrates and phosphates new sand is the way to go.

Could I start disturbing the sand now? Weeks prior to get prepared to transfer?

Charley Diesing
01/27/2013, 03:39 PM
Anyone else wanna chime in? :P

gbru316
01/27/2013, 03:56 PM

This.

In addition, using old sand in a deep sand bed leads to the possibility of trapping organic material deep in the sand bed. This can lead to hypoxic zones in which (deadly) hydrogen sulfide can form.

I'd play it safe; use new sand.

Charley Diesing
01/27/2013, 03:59 PM
This.

In addition, using old sand in a deep sand bed leads to the possibility of trapping organic material deep in the sand bed. This can lead to hypoxic zones in which (deadly) hydrogen sulfide can form.

I'd play it safe; use new sand.

So basically even if I were to add sand on top of what I have without disturbing it. I should still the out the sand and add new stuff?

gbru316
01/27/2013, 04:03 PM
So basically even if I were to add sand on top of what I have without disturbing it. I should still the out the sand and add new stuff?

yes.

Hydrogen Sulfide and the Reef Aquarium - Reefkeeping Magazine, Randy Holmes-Farley (http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-12/rhf/index.php)

Charley Diesing
01/27/2013, 04:10 PM
Makes sense, but if I start with completely new(non-live sand) I won't have any problems with cycles and such?

fpv930
01/27/2013, 08:05 PM
I am going to be doing the same when setting up a new tank. I am going from a 26g tank with 2-3" of sand to a 90g tank I will be adding a DSB. I plan on cleaning the sandbed several times prior to using my old substrate.
In the new tank I will be adding Fiji Pink sand. About 120lbs or so. Then I will be spreading the old substrate over the top. By putting the old substrate 1"-1.5" over the top there should be no problems with tapping any waste or detritus as the first 2" of the substrate would not have a lack of oxygen.
I also plan on allowing the tank to cycle prior to adding my live stock just to be safe.

Chihuahua6
01/27/2013, 09:08 PM
I'm thinking that you should get a slightly taller tank if you're going to have a DSB.

thegrun
01/27/2013, 09:57 PM
Makes sense, but if I start with completely new(non-live sand) I won't have any problems with cycles and such?

Since new sand does not contain organics it will not start a new cycle.

Charley Diesing
01/27/2013, 10:11 PM
I am going to be doing the same when setting up a new tank. I am going from a 26g tank with 2-3" of sand to a 90g tank I will be adding a DSB. I plan on cleaning the sandbed several times prior to using my old substrate.
In the new tank I will be adding Fiji Pink sand. About 120lbs or so. Then I will be spreading the old substrate over the top. By putting the old substrate 1"-1.5" over the top there should be no problems with tapping any waste or detritus as the first 2" of the substrate would not have a lack of oxygen.
I also plan on allowing the tank to cycle prior to adding my live stock just to be safe.

Interesting.. If I could wait to add livestock I would. Sadly I really don't have the luxory to keep buckets of livestock hanging around. :P Good luck! I think I'm gonna go with all new sand.

Charley Diesing
01/27/2013, 10:11 PM
I'm thinking that you should get a slightly taller tank if you're going to have a DSB.

Thought the same. But since its a mangrove display I'm going for more of a top down look. Then a look through tank.

Charley Diesing
01/27/2013, 10:12 PM
Since new sand does not contain organics it will not start a new cycle.

Makes sense. Thanks for the clarification.