PDA

View Full Version : I finally got it! The battle has been won!

Stomkat
01/27/2013, 05:05 PM
Started 'cooking' my rocks, and after a month no phosphates, 10ppm nitrates. Not my rocks. Sat there and stared at the tank for a while. The only other thing it could be is the sand.

Started reading and yep! I have never vacuumed my sand. I had always read/heard to not disturb the sand bed. It sounded weird to me since I kept freshwater for 28 years and insisted on vacuuming the gravel weekly. But, the sand I have is so fine I figured it made sense, I would vacuum it up if I tried.

I spent a week vacuuming and removing sand. I put any sand I removed into a plastic tub with fresh mixed saltwater. Nitrates were 20ppm the next day, which confirmed my suspicion.

I added egg crate so the pistol shrimp can't bury the LR as much also. All the sand was vacuumed, ~10 lbs sand removed, moved LR to the QT tank, pistol shrimp hitchhiked on a piece and now I have to get him back to the DT.

Waited for the water to clear after everything was done, moved the LR back to the DT and stacked it in the middle of the back. I want to buy Marco rock to replace the crap I have. I wasn't aware of the different types of rock when I started, and now I want a lighter weight, more porous type that is also more decorative.

Day 1 nitrates were 10 ppm, which is the lowest it has ever been. I then tore down the sump and cleaned it out because a lot had settled in it. Nitrates were still 10 ppm after that. But the next day they are 5 ppm!

Checked nitrates last night since today is water change day: INDETECTABLE!!! I finally won the battle and figured out my problem!!! Now for new LR, then onto corals and gobies!!!

megadeth72
01/27/2013, 05:24 PM
please stop calling it cooking, you'll get someone killed, see this thread

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2253493&highlight=boil+rock

biggles
01/27/2013, 08:34 PM
Glad you finally got to the bottom of your elevated nitrate readings, things like that can drive you nuts until you get to the bottom of the problem. megadeth has a good point btw, it may sound petty but the terms we use can lead a fellow reefer down the wrong path and lead to terrible outcomes if they take the term literally.