PDA

View Full Version : Calcium Reactor

Frost3839
01/28/2013, 11:50 AM
Hey guys, I have been in the hooby for years now. I have good deal of knowledge about this and that. But I have never tapped into learning about calcium reactors.:hmm4: And now I want to start. I have tons of coral and sps and I am getting tired of dosing A&B.:headwalls: Want to try one out but dont know anything about it. I am a hands on kind of guy. And I know it varise from person to person and everyone has ther own opioion! But what are the good reactors on the market and what ones should I stay away from?:confused: Of course the easier and better it runs is the one I am looking for. Im not richy rich. But I would rather pay the extra buck and get the better reactor. Rather than buying a cheaper one that will give me nothing but problems. Anyone mind filling me in on what reactors are good PLEASE! I will take my time and read up on them and how they work :reading:(Which I already have a good idea about) But I just want to hear from the people about which one to go with! Thanks!!!!!!!:beer:

jb61264
01/28/2013, 03:30 PM
I've been running a reactor for 3 years now and although I can't offer much in the way of opinions on what brand is good or bad, I can say that I wouldn't recommend buying a reactor chamber unless it has a pH probe holder built into it. I've seen some that don't have them built-in and just don't get why someone would run a reactor without one built-in to the chamber. Also, I know many just set up a bubble rate and drip count but I wouldn't think about doing this either...i would highly recommend you get a CO2 regulator that has a built-in solenoid that is controlled by a pH reading. Just my opinion, I know there are those who do it successfully without.

edandsandy
01/28/2013, 03:40 PM
I've been running a reactor for 3 years now and although I can't offer much in the way of opinions on what brand is good or bad, I can say that I wouldn't recommend buying a reactor chamber unless it has a pH probe holder built into it. I've seen some that don't have them built-in and just don't get why someone would run a reactor without one built-in to the chamber. Also, I know many just set up a bubble rate and drip count but I wouldn't think about doing this either...i would highly recommend you get a CO2 regulator that has a built-in solenoid that is controlled by a pH reading. Just my opinion, I know there are those who do it successfully without.

+1
We have the GEO 618 and a custom made second chamber we also use the American Marine Pinpoint PH controller and a flow meter.
You also want an adjustable regulator.

bertoni
01/28/2013, 09:22 PM
You might want to post in the equipment forum, too, for more opinions. I've never run a calcium reactor, so I can't help much.

The size of the tank is important when picking a reactor.

ReachTheSky
01/29/2013, 10:01 AM
If I were forced to get a calcium reactor, I'd get a GEO or Reef Dynamics. I've seen their products and their build quality and performance is phenomenal. Also... Made in 'MURICA. http://forums.explosm.net/images/smilies/patriotind.gif

But I won't since I don't like calcium reactors. I much prefer perilastic dosing pumps.