PDA

View Full Version : Help on identifying Micro Bubbles on jbj nan28

Xrod
01/28/2013, 02:13 PM
Please help. What can this be? Here are the pictures.
At first thought maybe Bubble Algae, but then there are bubbles to thin and microbubbles. Then i thought maybe cyano or dino or diatoms...Now someone told me maybe the skimmer. Just confused....anyone with more experience any comments?

My tank is 3 months old.
28 g JBJ led
octopuss bh 90 skimmer
Vortech MP10

KChan
01/28/2013, 03:28 PM
It looks like its from the algae, but you could test it by shutting the skimmer down.

Xrod
01/28/2013, 04:04 PM
So you say to turn off skimmer and see if that eliminates the bubles on the rock? For how much time should i test it? Thanks

KChan
01/28/2013, 05:58 PM
Blast the bubbles off the rock with something like a turkey baster. Turn the skimmer off for a day and if the bubbles are back...its probably not the skimmer. You should be able to see microbubbles in your water column if its the skimmer.

no694terry
01/28/2013, 06:50 PM
looks to me like you have a little cycle going on, they may be nitrogen bubbles from the bateria in the rock.

keithhays
01/28/2013, 06:59 PM
Bubbles from the rock would float to the top of the aquarium. That looks like dinoflagellates.

no694terry
01/28/2013, 07:04 PM
gonna have to google "dinoflagellates". Last time i seen bubbles like these is when i changed my office tank from a 15 to a 20 long and added 8 more pounds of cured live rock, only the new live rock had these bubbles. I also got a diatom spike when i switched tanks, it all went away after a week or two.

Xrod
01/29/2013, 07:10 AM
Tthanks for all the responses.
As you see i did make my research and could not find one that i can really say ITS THIS TYPE OF ALGAE. seems like a mix of GHA, bubble algae, cyano, dinos.

See it is hard to tell. everyone sees something different. So i still dont know how to battle it. Any ideas?

keithhays
01/29/2013, 07:22 AM
Tthanks for all the responses.
As you see i did make my research and could not find one that i can really say ITS THIS TYPE OF ALGAE. seems like a mix of GHA, bubble algae, cyano, dinos.

See it is hard to tell. everyone sees something different. So i still dont know how to battle it. Any ideas?

Lots of GFO in a reactor, elevated PH, and possibly Chemiclean. I can eliminate one of those algaes for certain; its definitely not bubble algae.

This is bubble algae:
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR_pn8Ap9eayv5lOu24vXsJF87V578algWOOkh1QRJYUOUnSsGG

KChan
01/29/2013, 07:24 PM
What are your phosphate and nitrate levels?