PDA

View Full Version : Picasso's and ???

kenghmoob
01/28/2013, 10:29 PM
Which would be a good anemone to host Picasso clowns. Don't want to get an anemone and not have them go home. Any help would greatly be appreciated

Ambition
01/28/2013, 10:57 PM
Could you give us some specs on your tank? How big is the tank? What are the parameters reading? How old is it? What kind of lighting do you have? Do you have a sand bed? If so, how deep? What do you have for flow? What kind of fish do you have?

Sorry for the rant of questions, but my suggestion for an anemone would be based off your answers to those questions.

Xadieu
01/29/2013, 02:11 AM
BTA everything! :D

kenghmoob
01/29/2013, 09:15 AM
Could you give us some specs on your tank? How big is the tank? What are the parameters reading? How old is it? What kind of lighting do you have? Do you have a sand bed? If so, how deep? What do you have for flow? What kind of fish do you have?

Sorry for the rant of questions, but my suggestion for an anemone would be based off your answers to those questions.

I have a 180 gallon tank. It's dimensions are 72x24x24. It has been up and running for about a year now. I currently have (4) Radions for the tank and run (1) MP40wes and (1) MP60wes for the powerheads. I do have a sandbed. It's approx 1-1/2" - 2" deep.

As far as fishes go, I have:
(3) Lyretail Anthias
(1) Sunburst Anthias
(7) Chromis
(3) Rhomboid Wrasses
(1) Mystery Wrasse
(2) Pylei Wrasses
(2) Hawaiian Flame Wrasses
(1) Potters Wrasse
(5) Longspine Cardinalfish
(2) Nahackyis Hooded Fairy Wrasses
(1) yellow tang
(1) Yellow Belly Regal Blue Tang (Hippo)
(1) Orchid Dottyback
(1) Pinkbar Goby

My water parameters are
Phosphate = .03
Nitrate = 0
Ammonia = 0
Magnesium = 1360
Calcium = 415
ALK = 8.9
PH = 8.2 (day) 7.92 (night)
Temp = 77.6 - 78.7

Tmoriarty
01/29/2013, 01:47 PM
Hiya Keng :)

Natural hosts are H. Magnifica, S. Gigantea, and possibly Malu. If you want to guarantee they go in the anemone get a mag or a gigantea (good luck finding a good looking one around us though). In general A. Ocellaris will eventually associate with BTA's but it is not a natural host in the wild. (I do have some that are with BTA's, and some others that refused to associate with them for over a year).

The easiest nems to keep are definately BTA's, if you go with either a gigantea or a magnifica, they get very large and may wander. I would not advise getting an S. haddoni as they like to eat fish (sometimes including the clownfish). Best of luck and if you have any more questions you can ask me anytime.

kenghmoob
01/29/2013, 02:35 PM
What's up Tyler. I was getting ready to hit you up on CV Reefers to see what you had to say. Thx for the info.

G4546
01/29/2013, 03:28 PM
BTA everything! :D

:thumbdown Not good advice :(

G4546
01/29/2013, 04:17 PM
Heteractis crispa, H. magnifica, Stichodactyla gigantea. All are natural hosts to A. Percula :) Sorry, I meant to add that along with the above :)

kenghmoob
01/30/2013, 12:50 AM
Heteractis crispa, H. magnifica, Stichodactyla gigantea. All are natural hosts to A. Percula :) Sorry, I meant to add that along with the above :)

Thank you for posting.

Ambition
01/30/2013, 08:09 PM
Hiya Keng :)

Natural hosts are H. Magnifica, S. Gigantea, and possibly Malu. If you want to guarantee they go in the anemone get a mag or a gigantea (good luck finding a good looking one around us though). In general A. Ocellaris will eventually associate with BTA's but it is not a natural host in the wild. (I do have some that are with BTA's, and some others that refused to associate with them for over a year).

The easiest nems to keep are definately BTA's, if you go with either a gigantea or a magnifica, they get very large and may wander. I would not advise getting an S. haddoni as they like to eat fish (sometimes including the clownfish). Best of luck and if you have any more questions you can ask me anytime.

Picasso clownfish are A. percula, not A. ocellaris. :)

I think that if you can get a healthy magnifica or gigantea, they would be great for hosting your clownfish. Magnifica would be safer with your fish from what I have read. Be sure to do as much research as you can before getting one.

aandfsoccr04
01/30/2013, 11:14 PM
H. magnifica is what I did. Highly recommended if you can find a healthy one.

reret10
01/30/2013, 11:19 PM
Mine hosts a red mushroom

OrionN
01/31/2013, 08:36 AM
If you are up to it, I would get a H. crispa or H. malu. IME, my A. percula always accept H. malu as a host within 1 hour. Most as soon as I get them together.

kenghmoob
01/31/2013, 09:09 AM
Do all these anemones have the same characteristics as bubble tips in that they'll move around till they find a spot that they like or will they stay put?

OrionN
01/31/2013, 10:08 AM
You are going to have to read and search about them before decide. The anemone FAQ is a good place to start. Magnifica and Gigantea required very high light and current. They are difficult to get healthy, tend to move when not happy. Placement and adequate condition is critical for these anemones. They are the hardest anemone to get and keep healthy in aquarium. Magnifica enjoy highest point right under the light. Gigantea like to attach to rock near the sand/rock interface. Both need the highest light you can provide at least 250 W MH near the bulbs. 400 W MH is better. Malu and Crispa are more intermediate. Malu always stay on the sand while Crispa can be either on rock or in sand. My Crispa stays on the sand but most people reports that their Crispa attach to rock. These are hardier anemones than the first two.
Many advance reefkeepers cannot keep Magnifica and Gigantea. Most reasonably competent reefer can keep Malu and Crispa
gigantea are most colorful but any of these 4 anemones are extremly beautiful anemones. Of course cost increase drastically for nicely color anemone.