PDA

View Full Version : Duncan Coral Care?

Aquat
01/28/2013, 11:05 PM
Bought a Duncan frag. Curious on the require my of these guys.

Anyone care to chime in?

lhm nole
01/28/2013, 11:18 PM
They are fairly easy moderate light moderate flow and good reef perimeters .

symon_say
01/29/2013, 08:55 AM
If you want then to grow like crazy feed then...

Ocfishguy
01/29/2013, 09:04 AM
Spot feed mysis and you will have multiple heads in know time.

FishNutty
01/29/2013, 12:36 PM
Spot feed mysis and you will have multiple heads in know time.

+1! I got a single freshly fragged head in December and it is in a pretty heavily shaded location. I feed 2x week, and I have 4+ heads budding and growing already at a rapid rate(two of which popped up within three weeks of being fragged and moved into a new tank).

Aquat
01/29/2013, 04:27 PM
It seems to be having a hard time extending it's 'whiskers'. That's what I call them :spin2:

It opens half way. Does it matter if part of it's body is buried in the sand? I did it to hide the frag plug.

greech
01/29/2013, 06:26 PM
It should be fine on/partially in the sand but sand can irritate it if it is left on the flesh/polyps. Since you just added it to the tank, it could take a day or to to fully open. Strong/direct flow on it can also cause it to remain closed. they can handle a decent amount of flow, just not direct, consistent blasts from a nearby powerhead.

chrisfont23
01/29/2013, 09:38 PM
I have a load of Duncans in my 90g. All of them are higher up in areas of med light/med flow. I spot feed and they grow perpetually...one went from 2 heads to about 20 in a year. For the poster who is asking about the whiskers extending... I can't figure it out, but for weeks mine won't extend and then they'll be fine, sprouting a new head or too. Not sure why that is but I see a few other boards/posts with the same symptom/result.

have to nurture
01/23/2014, 05:36 PM
I bought 2 duncan frags, and within a couple weeks, they each started sprouting new heads.
Unfortunately, I've been fighting dinos in the tank for 4 months and have to keep blowing and siphoning the rock and sand. As a result, the Duncans have been inadvertently been pushed around. I finally glued them to a rock. Now, they've been closed for about 2 weeks! I'm pretty worried they have died. The spot where they "sprouted" from seems to be calcified over. Does this mean they died? So upsetting!:headwalls:

CoralReeForrest
01/23/2014, 06:15 PM
Awesome! I too bought my first coral last night and it is a Duncan! Three headed! I'm letting him relax in the sand for now and will let him get settled after his move before I feed him on Saturday! Good luck with yours!http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/24/usy4e8ys.jpg

chevy4w
01/23/2014, 08:09 PM
I bought 2 duncan frags, and within a couple weeks, they each started sprouting new heads.
Unfortunately, I've been fighting dinos in the tank for 4 months and have to keep blowing and siphoning the rock and sand. As a result, the Duncans have been inadvertently been pushed around. I finally glued them to a rock. Now, they've been closed for about 2 weeks! I'm pretty worried they have died. The spot where they "sprouted" from seems to be calcified over. Does this mean they died? So upsetting!:headwalls:

You don't mention your water parameters...is everything in range?
Duncans are fairly tolerant of less than perfect water quality but within reason.
Is the light intensity too high...Duncans don't need high lighting.
Flow should be moderate.

p.s. I fought the dino battle about 4 months ago. Nasty stuff and not good for the tank.
I used Fauna Marin Ultra X to get rid of the dinos. Great stuff. Good luck!

Bo0sted_Rafi
01/24/2014, 01:01 PM
they eat the same as your fish. I feed mine every day and i got more than 30 heads in 2 years and was 2 heads only when i bought it

CoralReeForrest
01/24/2014, 01:15 PM
they eat the same as your fish. I feed mine every day and i got more than 30 heads in 2 years and was 2 heads only when i bought it

I had fun feeding mine just flakes I had on hand. Super cool looking!

dppitone
01/25/2014, 01:18 PM
What they need depends a bit on their parents but generally want low/med light and flow,