PDA

View Full Version : Bulkhead for return -slip or thread

Avonlea,PA
01/29/2013, 06:35 AM
I'm about ready to order bulkheads for my new 90g setup. My plan was to get slip x thread, with the threads on the sump side. Then I thought that maybe my return should be thread x thread. Any thoughts on this? I thought that should a problem arise or pipe need repaired, it'd be much easier with pipe that's just held in with friction.

Thanks

ltfw ntsw
01/29/2013, 06:41 AM
I agree, go friction with some sort of clamp to make sure it stays put.

ajcanale
01/29/2013, 07:06 AM
Slip is fine, but considering it is a return pump and there will be water pressure (as opposed to a drain) you will want to glue all slip connections together. You can use union valves at any points in the return line in case you need to disconnect the line for whatever reason.

ltfw ntsw
01/29/2013, 07:40 AM
there are a hundred ways to do it, just go with what you want and give you the end results you are looking for

keithhays
01/29/2013, 08:07 AM
For external pumps, you would likely use a slip bulkhead followed by a true union valve using slip. The true union allows you to shut off the water out of the sump and also disconnect the rest of the plumbing from it. The slip joints allow you not to worry about leaks...assuming you weld it properly. When you get to the pump intake this allows you to only have to use a couple followed by another true union some where after the outtake.

For internal pumps, it is pretty much up to you, I have seen everything from full hard plumbing to full soft plumbing.

Avonlea,PA
01/29/2013, 11:33 AM
there are a hundred ways to do it, just go with what you want and give you the end results you are looking for

I guess my main concern is that if the output side is slip, that the output pipe might get "blown out" by the water pressure. I think I'll go with slip x thread with the slip on the sump side for the return.

thanks for the input!

keithhays
01/29/2013, 01:02 PM
I guess my main concern is that if the output side is slip, that the output pipe might get "blown out" by the water pressure. I think I'll go with slip x thread with the slip on the sump side for the return.

thanks for the input!

yes on the output side sump bulkhead, but before you decide on the inside find out what kind of bulkhead strainer your going to get. Most times you can find both threaded and slip strainers, but sometimes you can't

Avonlea,PA
01/29/2013, 02:15 PM
yes on the output side sump bulkhead, but before you decide on the inside find out what kind of bulkhead strainer your going to get. Most times you can find both threaded and slip strainers, but sometimes you can't

I was going to make a Durso standpipe, so either slip or thread would work, right?

keithhays
01/29/2013, 03:07 PM
I was going to make a Durso standpipe, so either slip or thread would work, right?

Dursos are threaded.

Avonlea,PA
01/29/2013, 03:19 PM
But if I make my own Durso I can do either. :)

I decided to just go thread x thread for both. I think it'll be easir that way.

keithhays
01/29/2013, 05:45 PM
But if I make my own Durso I can do either. :)

I decided to just go thread x thread for both. I think it'll be easir that way.

Sorry, I didn't catch the making part, yes....I think. I am trying to decide if there are any ramifications to the slip idea because you won't be able to weld it in place... Like leaking, I don't think it would be an issue in my tank because there is very little water to drain, but depending on how much water is sitting in your overflow in a situation where it should not be draining you might have issues.

By the way, as simple as these things look, the are a pain in the but to make correctly. Especially, the strainer part. I just ordered them.

hahaha...eventually I will catch up to this conversation.. I am going to quit now. :)