PDA

View Full Version : ESV Bionic Seawater Review

cpllongjk
01/30/2013, 10:39 AM
Ok a bit of an update on the ESV B-Ionic Seawater system...

I mixed my first batch of saltwater for a water change and came out with results that confirm Jeremy's findings at Premium Aquatics. Here is a link: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1751788

I got: 1400ppm Mg
10.4 dKH
440ppm Ca

In my book the dKH is a bit high but it really doesn't make a difference since I am only doing 9.2 gallon water changes. The EXCELLENT thing about this salt is this. Once the water is heated to around 77 degrees, the salts and solutions dissolve very quickly and batches can be made within 30 minutes (remember once the water is heated). Unheated water will take the salts and solutions longer to dissolve.

I fine tuned my salt batch last night for my salt water reservoir by starting with 7.6 gallons of mix and then slowly adding salts by weight until I got the perfect number. I essentially know exactly how much of each part, by weight in grams, to add every time. Doing it by weight gives me a perfect batch of water with the exact same parameters every time! And all I use is a simple, inexpensive triple beam balance. How can you beat that?

The only drawback to this salt is the cost. I think that it is designed for the nano - smaller reefer in mind. I wouldn't use this on systems over 200 gallons just because the sheer cost of water changes. Also starting a system with this salt can be a headache too. If you have a pico or nano tank this is, in my opinion, the best salt on the market. If you have a huge salt mixing station and can do a lot of gallons at once and safely store it, go with a one part salt such as instant ocean or reef crystals.

Honestly, I feel that this salt mix is the easiest salt mix I've ever owned and it gives me peace of mind that my batches are always the same. That in itself is worth the cost for me.

Jared

nanotank
01/30/2013, 11:38 AM
could hit it with a little muriatic acid and lower the dKH...

cpllongjk
01/30/2013, 11:59 AM
If I was doing bigger water changes the dKH would have a large effect on my tank but 7% water changes every two weeks is really nothing in the grand scheme of things.

I need to figure out a way to do small daily water changes of say 1/2 gallon per day.