PDA

View Full Version : Is this aiptasia?

VahanM
01/30/2013, 10:55 AM
My son discovered this yesterday. I think it's aiptasia.

If it is, should I just get rid of it or should I get a peppermint shrimp to work on it?

heritage
01/30/2013, 11:03 AM
Could be, but its a little hard to tell from the picture.

worm5406
01/30/2013, 11:06 AM
I zoomed in on it and yes it is.

Clear as day.

A peppermint will work.. do you have a lot?

Frankly I had more luck with a turkey baster and a cup of boiling water. Spot shoot it and kill it to the root.

Go straight from cup to tank and to aptasia.. Don't let it cool down by moving all around.
And be careful if you turn it up and let it go into the bulb... it will splash/pressure and spray others around you.

I took my baster with boiling water and put it right over it's hole and slowly squeezed it.. let the whole squeeze go quickly in it. Never saw anything come out of it again. And no little spores either.

bnumair
01/30/2013, 11:11 AM
yes it is. i recommend getting the rock out and burn it with a lighter in the infected area, rinse the rock with saltwater and place it back. i have tried everything in the book its all hit and miss 50/50 chance burning works 100%.

VahanM
01/30/2013, 11:12 AM
I looked all over the tank and couldn't find any others but I have a feeling there could be more. I'll blast this one with boiling water and then I'll get a peppermint shrimp just in case.

heritage
01/30/2013, 11:21 AM
I wouldn't bother with the shrimp. They can be hit or miss when it comes to eating them, as well as they can also go rogue and eat your coral.

Phishguy
01/30/2013, 11:24 AM
Def aiptasia.. Personally I have never tried the boiling water method but the few times I've had it, Joes juice worked perfectly... Haven't seen any for many years

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

mnchartier
01/30/2013, 11:44 AM
Berghia nudibranchs - feeds on aiptasia only.

Reeferz412
01/30/2013, 01:17 PM
I used aptasia x for the big ones. I would just burn it as previously said. Not worth goin out to go buy a product or shrimp or nudi for only one lol.

Kawi9_cf
01/30/2013, 02:22 PM
aiptaisia x worked great for me one time when I got a huge infestation (50-60 at least). I stayed on it everyday for a week with the aiptaisia x then I got 8 peppermint shrimp that made sure the infestation didnt come back. I have been aiptaisia free for around 3 months now.

DNA
01/30/2013, 03:37 PM
It looks like one to me.
If you have one, more are likely to be around.

Don't let them get out of hand.

VahanM
01/30/2013, 04:12 PM
Somebody mentioned something about using a laser pointer and I found a video on youtube that shows this.

Does anyone know if this laser pointer will work?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0057QCOUQ/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

DNA
01/30/2013, 04:27 PM
I can't see how lasers can reach into all the crannies these things will be growing in.

TimmyD16
01/30/2013, 04:39 PM
Somebody mentioned something about using a laser pointer and I found a video on youtube that shows this.

Does anyone know if this laser pointer will work?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0057QCOUQ/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

Pretty sure you need north of 1W laser to get rid of those, something like this:
http://lazerer.com/blue-laser-pointer/lzsk-stick-445nm-1200w-focusable-blue-laser-pointer

I would just do the boiling water... unless you start getting a bunch of them, then maybe invest in a laser...

Barro777
01/30/2013, 11:06 PM
yes it is. i recommend getting the rock out and burn it with a lighter in the infected area, rinse the rock with saltwater and place it back

Precisely. I can't advocate this approach strongly enough. It's quick and super effective. This method should be used every time when taking the rock out of the tank is not problematic. Typically that isn't a problem in newer tanks.

jjwilbanks
02/01/2013, 10:07 PM
Just my two cents. Most peppermints will only eat aiptasia if they have nothing else available. If you have fish and you feed them, the shrimp will snatch the food and leave the anemones alone. Berghia's are great, but they will need an established population of anemones to survive, which is what you don't want. Boiling, burning, and chemical burning with lye paste (Kaulkwasser) should be your first choices for removing a single specimen, but one can turn into many very quickly.