PDA

View Full Version : Realistic refugium volume to be effective?

Drae
01/30/2013, 07:23 PM
I'm building a new sump for a 100 gallon display 48 x24x20 and want to incorporate a DSB. I know I can use a RDSB in a separate tank next to, under, over the tank etc but I really want an AIO style sump ( drain & skimmer/ return/ refugium) but if I can't get an effective DSB within the space limitations I'll give in and do a rdsb. So my question is this... is a 16"x 18" section in my planned sump with a 5" dsb enough for my new hundo? sump will be a plain ol 40 breeder if so. if not I might be willing to get a tank built ( baffles installed by me either way). something like 40 x 20 x 18 sounds about right to me. I'm sure I can squeeze out an effective DSB

Drae
01/30/2013, 08:11 PM
btw in both my sump plans the refugium section baffle goes almost all the way to the top of the sump. back siphon will be a non issue because the skimmer section and return section will only have a water level of 12" and I'm using a check valve as well as a brs overflow box so it'll drain only the small amount of water from the overflow back into the sump ( couple gallons max). the idea is to maximize refugium volume.

Drae
01/30/2013, 08:14 PM
Will my DSB have enough surface area? please chime in.

blanden.adam
01/30/2013, 08:37 PM
That gives you about 2.9 square inches per gallon. I mean, it's not gigantic, but it's certainly large enough to do something I would imagine, as the general recommendation given for a refugium is minimum 1/10 the volume of the tank. Surface area is more important for a DSB, but I've never heard a solid rule of thumb for that. So, I think yeah, but I've got no real good math to back that up :/

bertoni
01/30/2013, 08:58 PM
I personally wouldn't bother with a DSB of that size. Growing some macroalgae probably would be more effective.

tmz
01/30/2013, 09:24 PM
I don't think a remote sandbed will do much beyond the first inch or so of sand. It does provide a lot of surface area for denitrifying bacteria but won't do much of that down deep since nutrients won't get there very fast. If you are set on sand use as much surfacea area as you can. There is no formula . Ditto with macroalge which I think is more effective but then you need light too.

Drae
01/30/2013, 09:48 PM
right on guys. I've never had an issue with my current setup ( skimmer&drain/ calurpa/ return) with gfo and carbon in reactors. I figured if this setup works this well with a flawed design ( middle section for macro) any improvement without extra equipment ( pumps, reactors, etc) should give me an even more solid setup. I think I'll replicate my methods and husbandry but I'll just change my sump orientation. at least I'll be able to control flow with the macro section on the right instead of the middle. thanks