PDA

View Full Version : Ich Again?

Mergo
01/30/2013, 10:07 PM
So my 55g in November got ich.It sat fishless till 10 days ago and I bought 3 pre QT'd chromis. I talked to the store 2 weeks prior to that and they did the QT for me. The were disease free so I added them. I then bought 2 mollies and 2 platties from Petsmart and converted them to saltwater. I then did the same thing as the chromis with a pair of clowns. All has been good till tonight and I feel like I might see some white dots on a couple..... The tank was fishless for a solid 10 weeks so how is this possible? I made sure I did exactly what I didn't do last time this tank was sick,

Kyle918
01/30/2013, 10:16 PM
So my 55g in November got ich.It sat fishless till 10 days ago and I bought 3 pre QT'd chromis. I talked to the store 2 weeks prior to that and they did the QT for me. The were disease free so I added them. I then bought 2 mollies and 2 platties from Petsmart and converted them to saltwater. I then did the same thing as the chromis with a pair of clowns. All has been good till tonight and I feel like I might see some white dots on a couple..... The tank was fishless for a solid 10 weeks so how is this possible? I made sure I did exactly what I didn't do last time this tank was sick,

It seems that you trusted someone else, which you really can't trust your LFS. How long did they QT for? Recommended for ich prevention and contamination into your DT is 8 weeks, with 6 weeks absolutely minimum IMO. I have a 55 gallon with 20 gal sump I am starting soon once I switch jobs but I have already decided on the importance of QT through reading this forum and I plan to buy a 10 gallon for use as a QT and QT every fish myself for 8 weeks.

Seems like if you really have ich again, you will have to remove the fish and treat as well as leave the tank fallow for I'd say 11 - 12 weeks just to rule out that the tank didn't cause this outbreak.

Mergo
01/30/2013, 10:21 PM
I have no clue where to QT this many fish, it's so frustrating... I have never had this problem and 2 times in this tank now? It's horrible.

blanden.adam
01/30/2013, 10:29 PM
This is why doing QT yourself is so important. Setting up a small tank with a heater, powerhead, and sponge filter to keep a fish in for 30 days so inexpensive and saves you soooo many headaches, time, and ultimately money. If this actually ends up being ich, unfortunately you will have to do the whole procedure over again, including putting the fish in a hospital tank, treating them with copper, and letting the tank lie fallow, which really really sucks man, I feel your frustration, but don't give up.

Now, repeat after me. "I will quarantine every single fish I get, myself, from now on." (I would prefer the oath be "I will quarantine every wet thing I get," but fewer people would take such an oath :P) If you choose to take this oath and follow it religiously, it will greatly increase your enjoyment in this hobby. You will greatly diminish the probability of a disease getting into your tank, and will help keep your aquatic pets healthy and alive :)

Mergo
01/30/2013, 10:45 PM
I will quarantine every single fish I get, myself, from now on!

I have 2 10g freshwater tanks with nothing cause I forgot about them so I could use those haha. I mean I've never had problems letting the store do it and my neighbor has always just dropped fish in his tank so I always felt like what I was doing was enough, but clearly not..... My 38g is healthy, my 90g is great so far, but this tank is just going well again But thanks guys!

FTDelta
01/30/2013, 10:50 PM
This is why doing QT yourself is so important. Setting up a small tank with a heater, powerhead, and sponge filter to keep a fish in for 30 days so inexpensive and saves you soooo many headaches, time, and ultimately money. If this actually ends up being ich, unfortunately you will have to do the whole procedure over again, including putting the fish in a hospital tank, treating them with copper, and letting the tank lie fallow, which really really sucks man, I feel your frustration, but don't give up.

Now, repeat after me. "I will quarantine every single fish I get, myself, from now on." (I would prefer the oath be "I will quarantine every wet thing I get," but fewer people would take such an oath :P) If you choose to take this oath and follow it religiously, it will greatly increase your enjoyment in this hobby. You will greatly diminish the probability of a disease getting into your tank, and will help keep your aquatic pets healthy and alive :)

I agree.

DragonWarriorPo
01/30/2013, 11:00 PM
If u don't have corals in your tank, just drop your salinity down to 1.009 over 2 days to kill of ich. I did that to my display tank before adding corals. I just kept adding whatever fish I wanted to my already hyposalinity tank until I completed my fish selection, kept the fishes in hypo for 8 weeks and slowly brought salinity back over a week. My system is ich free.
If u have inverts, drop the salinity over 1 week. I had crabs, snails, and shrimps in my hypo display tank and they were all fine

Mergo
01/30/2013, 11:04 PM
I have a ton of coral, an anemone, crabs, snails, etc. I just setup a 10g with sponge filters and put the clowns in because I really don't wanna lose them. Stupidly I pt gravel in the bottom so I'm gonna get that out tomorrow.

krzyphsygy
01/30/2013, 11:14 PM
QT, best thing I ever did in this hobby. Had really good luck for many years before qt ing fish, never one fish with ich in like 5 years.

Now it seems much more common. I purchased 3 yellow streak cardinals about 3 months ago, place right in qt and found them covered in ich 3 days later. Treated for 8 weeks hypo and raised back up now i will hold them for 2 more weeks just to be sure its gone.

Always qt your fish, never add right to the display.......never, never, never

ajcanale
01/31/2013, 07:41 AM
Rather than beating the dead horse about QT, I'll try to provide some insight.

Check you water parameter stability to ensure that any stressors are minimized. Especially large temperature swings over a 24h period... Maybe it goes without saying but Ammonia/Nitrite should be 0 and nitrates should be low. This will help prevent outbreak in the case that ich is present. Hopefully your fish don't have any aggression issues.