PDA

View Full Version : HOB Skimmer for 20T

bqq100
01/31/2013, 11:05 AM
I want to add a HOB skimmer to my 20 tall tank, and so far I've been between the Aquamaxx (I like to T on the return) or the BH1000 (I like the surface skimmer).

However I've been keeping an eye on craigslist and a Deltec MCE300 came up for $80. From what I've read Deltec is a well respected company for their skimmers right? The Deltec doesn't have either the T on the return, or the surface skimmer, plus I'm not crazy about the return being above the surface instead of being returned under water (I suppose I could add some PVC myself).

Do you think I would be better off with the used Deltec or spending the extra cash and getting one of the other ones new?

benfinley
01/31/2013, 11:40 AM
I want to add a HOB skimmer to my 20 tall tank, and so far I've been between the Aquamaxx (I like to T on the return) or the BH1000 (I like the surface skimmer).

However I've been keeping an eye on craigslist and a Deltec MCE300 came up for $80. From what I've read Deltec is a well respected company for their skimmers right? The Deltec doesn't have either the T on the return, or the surface skimmer, plus I'm not crazy about the return being above the surface instead of being returned under water (I suppose I could add some PVC myself).

Do you think I would be better off with the used Deltec or spending the extra cash and getting one of the other ones new?

I don't have experience with the other two but I love my bh1000. My only complaints are that the inlet tube needed to be cut in order to skim the surface and assembly is kind of difficult. Had it running for a few months now and it pulls out some nice gunk.

reeftivo
01/31/2013, 05:12 PM
toss up!

Both the aquamaxx and the octo are pretty good HOBs.

The octo is a bit bulkier with the extenal pump and the aquamaxx is a little stealthier.

I would give the edge to aquamaxx only because I'm not a big fan of the octo pumps and that fact that it's external (possible leaks!). The aquamaxx uses the shark pump and they have proven reliable so far with lower watts.

I've had the old BH100F and the original WM H2 which is very similar to the aquamaxx version.

With all that said, they are both good as far as HOBs go.

Tivo

reeftivo
01/31/2013, 05:15 PM
I would'nt recommend the MCE300. I had one! The build quality was disappointing (thin plastic,not acrylic) and it was finecky.

unkel j
01/31/2013, 05:40 PM
I was also torn between the octopus and the aquamaxx. I ended up going with the aquamaxx hob1 because I liked the look better and the pump is in the skimmer. The octo seems like it might be a leak hazard with the pump and fittings outside and underneath the skimmer. I also think the hob1 has a better pump.
I love the hob1! It is consistant and near silent. It is well built and started skimming instantly. I have it on a acrylic 29g and the skimmer is almost as thick as my tank.
One downfall is that you may get a little more heat from the hob1 since the pump is in the water.

bqq100
01/31/2013, 05:40 PM
I would'nt recommend the MCE300. I had one! The build quality was disappointing (thin plastic,not acrylic) and it was finecky.

Thanks! Back to a coin flip between the other 2. From the sounds of it though, no matter what I do I'll end up with a pretty decent skimmer.

unkel j
01/31/2013, 05:44 PM
Thanks! Back to a coin flip between the other 2. From the sounds of it though, no matter what I do I'll end up with a pretty decent skimmer.

I think so. I read a lot and pretty much came down to the same coin flip between hob1 and bh1000.

reeftivo
01/31/2013, 05:48 PM
yep! just be patient and make slow adjustments

you shouldn't get too much heat from the internal pump on the maxx (if you go with that) since it's only running at 11 watts.

Dapg8gt
01/31/2013, 06:08 PM
Have you looked at the reef octopus BH90? I have had one for a few months an this thing rocks. It's running a heavily stocked 45 gal and it runs strong. Cone design , bubble trap, surface skimmer, cup drain and it's round versus the rectangle ones. I wouldn't worry about the exterior pump and connections. I can't speak on the reliability of the pump yet but the connections are rock solid and will not leak. It took abou 1 day to break in and is super quiet. The connections are the same as any external pump and it will not heat up the water.. Dials in easy and the best part is the price. IMO bed bang for your buck for a HOB..