PDA

View Full Version : Anyone selling tank bred African Flameback Angel? Ethic of buying wild caught one?

duganderson
02/01/2013, 07:43 AM
Does anyone sell a tank bred African Flameback Angelfish or a similar cross breed that is small, not very aggressive and fairly reef safe?

Any idea if a tank bred version is less or more aggressive and/or reef safe?

If tank bred versions are not for sale, what are your thoughts about the ethics of buying this wild caught? If you buy a wild caught one, what would you consider, where would you buy, etc. to have the least environmental impact?

Sugar Magnolia
02/01/2013, 09:19 AM
Seems it's difficult to find them aquacultured, and when you can they are very expensive. My african flameback is model citizen in my tank. I have not seen any aggression at all towards any of the other tank inhabitants. It often swims with my melanurus wrasse.

I bought mine from one of my LFS. They seem to be readily available online, but I'd suggest buying from one of the more reputable dealers like LiveAquaria or Diver's Den. http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+16+446&pcatid=446

MrTuskfish
02/01/2013, 02:18 PM
Probably 99.9% of the fish we buy are wild caught. Tank-breeding is in its infancy. I don't think conscience collectors damage fish populations at all. IMO, The Phillipiines and Indonesia have the WORST environmental impact record. A zillion islands and no way to enforce collection laws and standards.