PDA

View Full Version : Nitrates- How do I get rid of them??? (Help)

Frost3839
02/01/2013, 12:33 PM
Hey guys, I have a Redsea max 250 all in one tank. I have it as a reef tank and my nitrates where starting to climb. I recnetly went to the extreme and added a custom sump, Bubble king mini 160 skimmer, Refug with cheao, biopellet reactor and even some plants inside the tank. Although I only did all this in the last week. I figured I would at lest see a small decress since I did so many things. Dont get me wrong. I didnt expect it to already be gone. but at least lower a little. I only feed once a day and I dont over feed! Any other tips advice or things I can do? I dont want to take on the task of vodka dosing ( I dont know much about it and I would have to do tons of research). Any Nitrate info is greatly apperciated!

Allmost
02/01/2013, 12:42 PM
only bad things happen fast in reefing.

remember this.

too many changes, like adding fuge and pellets and vodka and ... [many of which are repeatative] will not give you good results.

research each, choose a method you like and fits you, and stick to that.

if you go bacterio plankton, then no fuge.

if you go fuge, then leave pellets, and just work on growing algae well, later you can add vodka to remove the trace N and P.

HTH,

psusocr
02/01/2013, 01:42 PM
Its important to know what you have in the tank? how is it stocked? how many fish? how much are you feeding? etc. etc. etc. you were running it without a sump and skimmer? what kind of filtration did you have ?

bertoni
02/01/2013, 07:57 PM
What is the nitrate level now? I agree that we need more information on the system to help much.