PDA

View Full Version : New Tank Project

bishopthomas
02/02/2013, 09:31 PM
I have this 20L tank just sitting here empty and am looking at adding water to it in the next few days. It will sit next to my 36 bow and I'm thinking that I'll probably plumb them together. Right now the 36 is just DSB and live rock, no other type of filtration. I really don't have the space for a sump (especially hidden) and I'm trying to keep it as simple as possible but still have good results, of course. My plan is to make the 36 FOWLR, maybe add another inch of sand, and keep the 20 bare bottom and corals/inverts only.

I'm looking for any ideas on how to make this as simple and efficient as possible, and any improvements on my ideas. The 20 sits a bit lower so I'm wondering if I can drill a bulk head in the 36 that will feed the 20, which will in turn pump back into the 36. Obviously, this would avoid any extra equipment hanging on the tank(s). Anything to look out for when I'm doing this? There's about 6" between the top of the 36 and the 20; where would be a good placement for the bulkhead(s)? I'm hoping I can drill them without removing livestock. Any bit you can recommend? Hole saw or boring bit?

I just recently got back into the hobby, got a tank established and was doing well with it for a few months, then hurricane Sandy came and wiped out around 90% of my livestock. Even with around 10 days without power, heat, and water my coral banded shrimp, button polyps, and duncan (and most crabs/snails) made it through. Tough critters! Anyway, thanks for your help!

whodeydan76
02/02/2013, 10:08 PM
You are wanting to drill the tank with it full of water and fish in it??? A lot of tanks have tempered back and bottom glass so be very careful and possibly check with the manufacturer of the tanks to see if they are tempered. Sorry I wasnt helpful at all I was just giving my .02

:)