PDA

View Full Version : 93 gallon cube project....

whodeydan76
02/02/2013, 10:41 PM
Today I bought a used 93 gallon reef ready cube with plumbing and stand. The guy that had it bought it a year ago from dr fosters and smith and paid well over $1700 for the tank and stand delivered...I paid $700 :celeb1:
In the deal I also got a 40 gal cube to use for a sump, a bubble magus 150 in sump skimmer with an extra pump and an extra collection cup, a Kent marine Hi-S RODI system with 4 extra paper filters and one of the mesh looking ones, a brand new (in the box) marineland maxi jet 1200, 3 different sized nets (2 brand new), 3 bags of red sea salt, and 3 bags of instant ocean salt, a big bottle of reef buffer, 2 turkey basters specifically made for reefing (2 diff types), a mag 24 return pump, a 250 watt and a 300 watt submersible heaters, ocean grade sand substrate that was in the tank, but I scraped the top few inches off and I am going to rinse this and most likely use it.
I am going to attach pics of the tank before and after I cleaned it and also the other supplies I got with the tank that are listed above. I plan to keep this post going as I get the tank up and cycling and so on... Hope everyone that cares to give it a look enjoys the thread and feel free to leave what ever comments you feel like.
Happy Reefing. :beer:

whodeydan76
02/02/2013, 10:45 PM
here are a couple more pics... sorry if there are any duplicates.. Im pooped..lol

whodeydan76
02/03/2013, 04:52 AM
Any lighting ideas guys? I had an offer of a 14000 k hqi fixture that has a brushed aluminum hood...a 400 watt halide pendant with ballast, an eco tech, a kessil.. I had t5s on my past reef yanks... but this is an open top (no canopy)

jmifland
02/08/2013, 09:32 PM
I am planning on having a custom acryllic 30x30x24 cube built and I will be using an Aqua Illuminations Vega for lighting.

apw63
02/08/2013, 09:40 PM
Looking good, should be a fun build, great start,

Andy

whodeydan76
02/09/2013, 06:23 AM
Thanks guys! I love this tank so far..lol it is a big difference going from a 75 non drilled, no overflow or sump, to a drilled cube with a 40 gal cube as my sump.
My first roadblock was plumbing. The tank came complete but was filthy and when I cleaned it up I had no idea that the overflow box needed cleaned too. So when I reinstalled the bulk heads and stand pipes I didn't wash the minimal amount of sand out of the way so as soon as I poured water in the overflow I got wet and in a hurry! It turns out the tank manufacturer or bulkhead manufacturer one uses super slim clear seals for the bullheads and the slightest grain of sand makes the seals leak BAD! Lol
I finally figured out where my leak was...I figured I cracked the glass :$ but thankfully i was wrong.
I got my rock from my friends sump and added some dry rock i purchased at some point. I also added 4 cups of sand off the top from a friends tank to help seed the tank and sand bed. The same friend ( happens to be a good friend and he is a mod on this site...) has a bunch of my old corral from my old tank. He promised to hook me up with frags of any corral he has once I get up and running and established.. which is really cool IMO. He is also helping me pick my light...I think I'm trying less this go round...I hope I don't regret it..I really liked my Ati t5 I had on my 75... I love the way leds can be dimmed and controlled individually.
I will post pics later today or tomorrow as I decide how I am going to aquascape. I'm sure I'll change it 50x. Lol

Mussin
02/09/2013, 08:47 AM
Looks good Dan! I like the cubes. I would go with LEDs since you have no canopy. You will have to come over some time and check out my 90 its really comming along nicely.

Jeremy

whodeydan76
02/09/2013, 09:01 PM
Jeremy... id like to see your 90. I'm doing an 8 gal nano with dwarf sea horses for my kids and I am sure I'll add another tank of some sort..prolly a hex I've always wanted one of them...but finding a drilled one is next to impossible!
What lights did u run on your 90? I love my t5s I had but andrew on here and locally at PSP introduced me to a cheap led and i think I'll get 2 just to be sure i have enough light to grow whatever I wanna try.
Thanks for the compliment. I sent you a text recently...hit me up and I'll come by to see your tank. Did u sell your cube?

Mussin
02/09/2013, 09:47 PM
Jeremy... id like to see your 90. I'm doing an 8 gal nano with dwarf sea horses for my kids and I am sure I'll add another tank of some sort..prolly a hex I've always wanted one of them...but finding a drilled one is next to impossible!
What lights did u run on your 90? I love my t5s I had but andrew on here and locally at PSP introduced me to a cheap led and i think I'll get 2 just to be sure i have enough light to grow whatever I wanna try.
Thanks for the compliment. I sent you a text recently...hit me up and I'll come by to see your tank. Did u sell your cube?

I have a TEK 6 bulb T5 fixture, Cube sold a long tim ago. Not sure I got ur text:confused: The LEDS will look killer, What ones are you going with?

Jeremy

Super Bad
02/09/2013, 11:49 PM
Great tank!!!! I have the exact one up and running now for about three years. I have only one radion over it now and it works great. I kinda wish i would have gone with something cheaper because I have an apex now and dont really need the "self" programing system of the radion. Apollo reef makes really nice lighting systems for a great price. Good luck with the build and keep us up to date!!!! Check out my build thread if you want... let me know if you have any questions.
Patrick

Occane5
02/10/2013, 10:18 PM
Nice tank and good deal on price!

premilove
02/10/2013, 11:20 PM
nice start and not a bad deal at all!

whodeydan76
02/11/2013, 09:25 PM
Thanks everyone. I've been slacking on pix. I'll post what I have soon. I love the tank and it is seeded and starting its cycle. I can't wait!
Jeremy...a friend told me about a led called ever grow I think. Its dimmable and like $160 shipped. I don't know if I should do 1 or 2? They are 55 bulb by 3 watts per bulb per unit. He has a 75 gal and is growing Lps and sps. Its Chinese made w American parts. I know I know but I am gonna try them I'm pretty sure.
Pics to come soon :)
I will checkout your thread too super bad. Thanks

whodeydan76
02/11/2013, 09:56 PM
The friend w the 75 is running 2 lights same style at 60%. I'm leaning towards 2 but I'm not positive.

whodeydan76
02/12/2013, 11:02 PM
Here are a few pics I have taken over the last week or 2. The light on the tank is a temporary until I can get my leds ordered. I am running the mh for 4 hours a day.. just to promote corraline growth on my rocks...as most of them already have some growth.:rollface:

whodeydan76
02/12/2013, 11:04 PM
and here are a few more.

whodeydan76
02/12/2013, 11:12 PM
Notice how much turbulence is in the sump?? I would assume that the mag 24 pump has something to do with that lol. I tried to trade the guy for the 9.5 and he wanted to give me the 9.5 and $20... uh NO! lol. I made a place mat for the bottom of the return pump to prevent vibration since the sump is glass. Also I was told the motor would produce great heat.. I ran the tank the first 3 days with no heaters and it stayed a cool 70 deg F. When I plugged in my heaters I set both at 76 and have been monitoring them... they seem to be doing great. Plus here in the next couple days I will be adding a filter sock holder and sock. I think this will cut down on my micro bubbles greatly. Anyone have any other ideas I am all ears. I thought about baffles as I know there are some great underwater glues.. but I'm just not sure yet??? I am also adding a hob fuge but it will be hanging on the inside of the sump.
One downfall I have noticed to no canopy is I have a lot of noise at the overflow... I am going to cut a piece of acrylic to lay over the overflow to try to deaden that sound...once again I am open to suggestions. I love that people on here take interest in my build :dance: I guess I am easily amused.

whodeydan76
02/15/2013, 11:03 PM
Hey guys... I did some aqua scaping the last couple of days.. I am 95% through my cycle and loving that idea! I got 65# of live rock from a guy about 45 mins away on thursday. I found it on craigslist and called the guy.... I went to see the rock and he said he wanted $1.50 a lb. I got there and he had the rock in a tote full of water with a heater and powerhead.
I started looking through the rock in the tub picking out pieces I liked (in my head) and this guy says "its a big cut on my price but will you buy it all for $75?" I was like man I really dont need all 65# and I dont have $75 on me. He goes ok how about $60? I checked my wallet and had a $50. I said this is all I have.. he accepted and I walked out of there with 2 five gal buckets full of LR.
The first pic here is of my tank with the first aqua scaping attempt... and the second is after I added the new rock and after I rearranged 3-4 times lol. Let me know what you guys think...