PDA

View Full Version : Tang advice... Other hardy tangs to add with Naso and mimic

gsiegel
02/03/2013, 11:44 AM
I love Tangs and want a cohesive 280 gallon tank. I currently have a blond naso and a mimic. I know this will be a lot personal preference but can you give me your opinions on others to add - considering hardiness, less prone to disease (remove powder blue here), plays well with others, etc. and some input on what you think?

Thanks - love this site and thanks for all the great advice!:beer:

Palting
02/03/2013, 12:08 PM
You already have my favorite tang, the naso. They are like puppies and have so much character. Aside from the obviously gorgeous tangs (Sohal, clown), my one other favorite is the Tennenti. He is a tireless lawnmower for algae, spending pretty much all his time roaming the tank and rocks munching on algae. Though not as colorful as the sohal or clown, he is still pretty in his own right, IMO.

shaginwagon13
02/03/2013, 12:21 PM
Blond Naso and Powder Blue are my absolute favourite and I love mine.

Be crazy and buy the Gem Tang for $3,000 lol

gsiegel
02/03/2013, 01:02 PM
Blond Naso and Powder Blue are my absolute favourite and I love mine.

Be crazy and buy the Gem Tang for $3,000 lol

Blond naso (Angelina) has been here for about a week and I love her already (unless she is a he in which case "her" name is Angelo dressed in drag and then this entire conversation is awkward)

Aren't powder blue's more prone to disease.

Thinking of Red Sea Sailfin but he would be last as I know he can be moody.

Powder brown, Achilles? Staying away from sohol, clown tangs as I don't want them bullying the tank. Have to pass on the gem until it at least goes down to $2800.....

gsiegel
02/03/2013, 01:07 PM
How about the Lieutenant Tang? Looks very cool too - similar body shape to the Naso though so thoughts on the 3 together (along with the mimic)? Powder brown? Achilles?

shaginwagon13
02/03/2013, 01:28 PM
Aren't powder blue's more prone to disease.

They are a little bit more finicky than the Naso but IMO a beautiful fish and well worth the extra effort. I soak my Seaweed/Nori in garlic before I add it for the tang feedings and I have a healthier then healthy Powder Blue.

Powder Blue's tend to get sick when stressed or low immune system. You can help this a lot by frequent feedings, well balanced diet and a proper size tank.