PDA

View Full Version : Drawback with too much Coralline Algae

nikecivic
02/03/2013, 03:59 PM
Is it possible I have too much Coralline algae that prevents my corals from growing faster? Is there such a thing as too much coralline?

Does the coralline take enough calcium from my SPS corals to slow their growth?
I am dosing 2 part recipe #1 and using T5 lighting.

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll284/nikecivic/20130108132811228.png

Meanmike
02/03/2013, 06:19 PM
I was hoping to hear answer to this as well.

blanden.adam
02/03/2013, 10:29 PM
It is not possible for coralline to take too much calcium (or alkalinity) from your corals as long as you are dosing your tank appropriately. Think about it, your corals want to consume X calcium in a day maximum, your coralline wants to consume Y calcium in a day maximum. As long as you are dosing X+Y, you keep your calcium constant and there is more than enough to go around.

As far as inhibiting coral growth by alleopathy, I cant say no absolutely as I haven't done controlled experiments, but I've never heard of anyone saying it happens or that that was a concern at all.

P.S. I'm kind of upset with you, as try as I might I cannot grow coralline algae really at all in my tank, and here you are complaining about too much coralline growth, rubbing my nose in it :P For real, my SPS have grown more in the last month than my coralline has grown in the last 6 :)

dh350twin
02/03/2013, 10:33 PM
It is not possible for coralline to take too much calcium (or alkalinity) from your corals as long as you are dosing your tank appropriately. Think about it, your corals want to consume X calcium in a day maximum, your coralline wants to consume Y calcium in a day maximum. As long as you are dosing X+Y, you keep your calcium constant and there is more than enough to go around.

As far as inhibiting coral growth by alleopathy, I cant say no absolutely as I haven't done controlled experiments, but I've never heard of anyone saying it happens or that that was a concern at all.

P.S. I'm kind of upset with you, as try as I might I cannot grow coralline algae really at all in my tank, and here you are complaining about too much coralline growth, rubbing my nose in it :P For real, my SPS have grown more in the last month than my coralline has grown in the last 6 :)

I am in the same boat!!! i run ulns

bertoni
02/03/2013, 11:24 PM
I suppose it's possible for the coralline to take up enough nitrogen and phosphorus to inhibit coral growth, but it should be easy enough to add a bit more food, if that's the problem. I haven't heard of allelopathy problems from coralline.

nikecivic
02/03/2013, 11:30 PM

I understand your point because I am dosing daily to keep my Calcium & Alkalinity levels up but trying to understand if there is more to why my corals don't respond/ grow like other reef tanks. Most people don't have the same amount of coralline like my tank. Honestly, it's too easy for me to grow it but I noticed that most people scape it off the glass.

blanden.adam
02/04/2013, 07:58 AM
There are a billion reasons why coral grows slower/faster in different tanks. I'd scratch coralline off the list if I were you. A better question is what are all of your parameters (nitrogen species, phosphate, calcium, alkalinity, the range of calcium and alkalinity within a day, temperature, temperature range within a day, flow, lighting, filtration, water change schedule etc). The levels of these parameters and how they vary throughout the day can effect growth a ton.

For example, if you are only dosing calcium and alkalinity by hand at night, but your tank consumes say 5 dKH alk and 35 ppm alkalinity during the day, then it's spending a lot of time below the level of calcium and alk you set, and the swings are just as bad. So you will see less growth

Also, what are your expectations for growth? For example, you cannot expect a frag or a coral that just got introduced into your tank a month or two ago to grow like a colony that has been growing in the same stable tank for years -- they take time to adapt, on the order of many months to a year.

Jovandfigueroa
02/04/2013, 05:03 PM
Either way the coraline in your tank looks great. Almost glows

nikecivic
02/05/2013, 09:42 AM
There are a billion reasons why coral grows slower/faster in different tanks. I'd scratch coralline off the list if I were you. A better question is what are all of your parameters (nitrogen species, phosphate, calcium, alkalinity, the range of calcium and alkalinity within a day, temperature, temperature range within a day, flow, lighting, filtration, water change schedule etc). The levels of these parameters and how they vary throughout the day can effect growth a ton.

For example, if you are only dosing calcium and alkalinity by hand at night, but your tank consumes say 5 dKH alk and 35 ppm alkalinity during the day, then it's spending a lot of time below the level of calcium and alk you set, and the swings are just as bad. So you will see less growth

Also, what are your expectations for growth? For example, you cannot expect a frag or a coral that just got introduced into your tank a month or two ago to grow like a colony that has been growing in the same stable tank for years -- they take time to adapt, on the order of many months to a year.

I am dosing with a Bubble Magus Doser. I am dosing ~80mL of Alk and Calc in 24 increments daily. I keep my Calc at 450 ppm and my Alk at 9 dKh. I am running 8x39w T5 bulbs (ATI B+ B+ P+ P+ Coral + Coral + Actinic Actinic).

I am just trying to see if there would be a difference if I just scraped the coralline off. You are looking at 3.5+ years of coralline that has been building on top of each othere. It takes about a month to grow coralline on my rocks.

Was wondering what Randy would think about keeping coralline in my tank?

I am upgrading later this year and should I let the coralline grow or just scrape it off?

bertoni
02/05/2013, 09:45 PM
I suspect it's mostly an esthetic choice, in the end.

cracker642
02/06/2013, 08:09 AM
If you have trouble with growing coraline algae use purple up it works great but you have to already have a little in your tank for it to grow

KafudaFish
02/06/2013, 09:20 AM
If you have trouble with growing coraline algae use purple up it works great but you have to already have a little in your tank for it to grow

How is that possible?

downbeach
02/06/2013, 09:44 AM
I have a lot of coraline growth, but don't consider it a problem. I'm constantly scrapping it off the front and sides of my tank. Coraline has the same needs as your stoney coral, so if its growing, you should also have enough for your corals. I would make a guess that it could be your lighting, I would try adding a couple Aqua Blue Specials to your fixture in place of one each of the Purple Plus and Actinic.

blanden.adam
02/06/2013, 10:16 AM

Purple Up is just very expensive, proprietary, calcium dosing. It doesn't help at all if you are maintaining good parameters with much less expensive products. And considering you shouldn't be dosing ANYTHING unless you are testing for it, I'd just leave the purple up on the shelf.

tektite
02/06/2013, 10:58 AM
I've got wayyy too much coraline as well, stuff never stops growing lol. In the long run its annoying as it covers everything. Haven't noticed any problems but increased cal/alk usage, other than having to clean any powerheads and the glass/acrylic sumps frequently.

nickjj
02/06/2013, 11:39 AM
One of the problems I find with coraline algae is that it will find any place to grow. I have an acrylic tank and any little scratch is a place that it will start. Also the corners of the tank can also be where it will grow which is very difficult to clean without scratching the tank. It's a vicious cyce.

nozleman
02/06/2013, 01:10 PM
Does anyone know of an invert that eats coraline algae, I could use one or two?

downbeach
02/06/2013, 01:29 PM

There are some Urchin's that will eat it.

dsmith3512
02/06/2013, 03:13 PM
Black Long Spine Urchins eat coraline. The one I had ate almost all the coraline from the rocks. Now he's gone my rocks are purple in a few months.

tmz
02/06/2013, 07:44 PM
Actually, purple up won't give you much calcium either. It's mostly fine particulate aragonite ;maybe some coraline seeding. Many say it works ;so, it could be seeded croaline and the particulates laying out surface area for growth . But it really can't work the way the manufacturer claims in terms of calcium andlak supplementation..

Coraline won't harm any corals, ime. It will use alk and calcium and is a relatively heavy user for magnesium. So, keep those on track. Rock Urchins eat it if you like less of it .
Different species of coraline react differntly to different lighting schemes too. Always abit of guesdwork . For example , I get more of it in my 75 gallons dimly lit( one 65 watt 12 k pc bulb and 1 65 watt actinic pc bulb )than I do in my halide,actinic ,led highly lit display tanks. All of those tanks are using the same intergrated water supply ,filtation and supplementation.

blanden.adam
02/06/2013, 08:03 PM
Actually, purple up won't give you much calcium either. It's mostly fine particulate aragonite ;maybe some coraline seeding.

Thanks for the info! I didn't know it was mostly tiny sand :) Another reason to leave it on the shelf!

williewilliams
02/07/2013, 09:51 AM
As stated above the lighting has much to do with it in my tank it only grows in the shadows. The MH is too bright for it I think.

nikecivic
02/08/2013, 01:24 AM
Was hoping Randy could chime in on this.

Fryman
02/08/2013, 02:55 PM

Tux urchins

bertoni
02/08/2013, 10:34 PM
I agree that tuxedo urchins seem to eat it. Mine did. I liked getting rid of the purple.