PDA

View Full Version : Bristle worm Traps

Paul B
02/04/2013, 10:17 AM
I have too many bristleworms in my tank and they attack crustaceans that are shedding so I build these traps to thin out the numbers of worms. Here are a few designs of bristleworm traps that cost nothing to build and building them takes less than 5 minutes. Each one of these devices fills up with worms in my tank at night. I bait them with a piece of clam and the tube on top adds water to the device from a small pump or in my case, the algae trough.
They work great without the water flow but when the clam rots, it robe the container of oxygen and the worms inside die and no more worms will enter. So the tube keeps it working all night but it is not needed.

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh270/urchsearch/Bristlewormtrap_zps25ca566e.jpg

Kawi9_cf
02/04/2013, 12:14 PM
Nice I need to set one of these up. Do you use an aqualifter pump?

Paul B
02/04/2013, 12:21 PM
Do you use an aqualifter pump?

No, I don't even know what that is. All my pumps are very old and made of wood.

TimmyD16
02/04/2013, 05:27 PM
All my pumps are very old and made of wood.

Ok now you really have to explain...

Kawi9_cf
02/04/2013, 05:29 PM
I would like to see a picture of the wooden pump that is just as interesting to me as the trap ;)

DgenR8
02/04/2013, 06:03 PM

<p>Reefcentral uses post counts as limits for a number of features. The spirit of the idea is to encourage users to participate in our community. Without active, contributing, users this site wouldn't be the wealth of information that it's become. When a new user needs to increase their post count they head to this forum and start posting: "nice", "cool", "wow", etc.. to every thread in the forum.
</p>
<p>
This does a few things. It violates the spirit of our policies. it wastes the time of every user subscribed to the thread and it wastes systems resources emailing subscription notices.
</p>
<p>
If you'd like to increase your post count to get a custom avatar, a custom title or to participate in the selling forums please <b>contribute</b> with meaningful posts. Users abusing this, or any, forum for the purpose of increasing their post count will have their posts removed and their post count adjusted accordingly.
</p>Thanks

Altezza01
02/05/2013, 01:42 AM
I could've put this to use a while ago. Oh well. Good designs. Do the work?

salty joe
06/25/2015, 04:57 PM
The pics are gone. Any chance of reposting them?

Paul B
06/26/2015, 05:06 AM
I can't find them any more either. I know they are in my book. It is basically a small plastic container, any container, with a few plastic tubes inserted into it. You can use thick straws. Make them about 3" long and stick them in at an angle so one end ends near the substrate. Put some bait in like a piece of clam or fish. The straws should protrude into the container about 1/2"

salty joe
06/26/2015, 06:09 AM
So the worms are climbing up through the straws? How steep of an angle? About 10 or 20 degrees? Thanks.

Shawn O
06/26/2015, 06:52 AM
I have tons of these worms but they haven't become a problem so far. Will have to try this out. I've noticed lately that when I feed, the worms come out of the empty snail shells I have in the tank for the hermits to switch into. This would work very nicely to remove the worms from the empty shells If I surround the trap with the shells. Thanks for the idea.

Paul B
06/26/2015, 07:45 AM
The angle is not important. 15 degrees or so is fine. Stick the straws into the container like a half inch from the bottom so they don't just walk out. Most of the worms are not to smart

dukduk
06/26/2015, 09:26 AM
Pic not showing up. Interested in seeing it. You make some neat stuff

Dkuhlmann
06/27/2015, 12:59 AM
Since we can't see Paul's trap I did a Google search for bristle worm trap and found this really easy and neat way to make one. Here it is on video :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmVA6lFlg4o

Paul B
06/27/2015, 03:52 AM
That trap is the idea. I think the tubes are a little long but it would work fine