PDA

View Full Version : new fish advice

alex1030
02/04/2013, 08:03 PM
I have a 30 gallon with a yellow tail damsel and 2 clown fish. I've tried to add 2 royal grammas at separate times and they both died after a week. Then my last try was with a fire fish it died after 3 days. It seems to be the damsel stressing the fish out. My damsel tried my clown fish when I first added them, but when my clowns put a whoop *** on him he's mister best friend with them. I was wondering if I could get some input on a type a fish I could add that can defend itself against my damsel. I will appreciate any suggestions. Thank you

Painted skin
02/04/2013, 08:34 PM
Don't forget to QT your fish before placing it into the DT, by the sound of it you do not practice that.. Getting back your question; Ya Damsel are little devils you can try removing the damsel into a QT and move some rocks around place the new fish in give a few days for week to settle and acclimate to the tank and establish territory and then add the damsel back. If you are not fond of your damsel you could always sell it to some other newbie.

igot2gats
02/04/2013, 09:54 PM
I personally think you're at your limit for a 30 gallon tank.

If it were me, I would remove the damsel, and get a Yellow Watchman Goby / Pistol Shrimp combo.

The clowns and the goby would be a happier community.

But, 3 fish is a max, IMO for that size tank.

alex1030
02/04/2013, 11:03 PM
I really don't want to get rid of my damsel. I guess Im kind out attached to him plus his coloration is awesome. I don't know if its my new led lighting but I've never seen a damsel so vibrant. I do have a QT tank that hangs inside the tank I will try that if I decide to try again. I'm also pretty sure I can add an extra fish if the can all get along.

mclevenger10
02/04/2013, 11:24 PM
I have a 55 gallon tank and I only keep four fish in this tank. One of which is a yellow watchmen goby. Another fish in my tank is my six line wrasse. I am unable to put any fish in because the six line is so agressive. I like my six line though and decided I am fine with these fish. Its all a personal choice really.

Kyle918
02/04/2013, 11:33 PM
I really don't want to get rid of my damsel. I guess Im kind out attached to him plus his coloration is awesome. I don't know if its my new led lighting but I've never seen a damsel so vibrant. I do have a QT tank that hangs inside the tank I will try that if I decide to try again. I'm also pretty sure I can add an extra fish if the can all get along.

Not trying to be too forward, but I think you are missing the point man. Damsels are aggressive little fish and adding him first allowed him to claim his territory, which in a small 30 gallon, may be all of it. Your two clowns team up and keep him at bay, but like the others say you are at the max that I would say fish wise for that size tank. Adding a forth fish will only make matters worse. When fish don't have enough space to call their own, they become more aggressive.

Also, to protect your livestock, I would read into the stickies and learn about QT properly. The way you described sounds more like an acclimation device, not a QT you would leave a fish in for 6+ weeks.