PDA

View Full Version : Couple of plumbing questions...

Charley Diesing
02/04/2013, 10:08 PM
I'm doing beans animal overflow design.

Questions...

#1. I went with thread x thread bulkheads. And I am wondering if I should seal the inside of the aquarium with the Teflon tape or paste. Or just screw it on? Since I don't really need a complete seal and it would be nice to be able to remove the elbows.

#2. When I went to HomeDepot all they had for 1" Street Elbows were Threaded on the male and female side. So its thread in the inside. Will this be a problem? These Elbows will be used in the OverFlow box.

Thanks,

Charley

GroktheCube
02/04/2013, 10:36 PM
1: If you mean securing the bulkhead to the tank, Teflon tape is not needed. Put the gasket on the baffle side (usually inside), and hand tighten. After the nut is hand tight, crank it an additional 1/4th turn and no more. If you mean connecting the fitting to the bulkhead, Teflon tape is the way to go.

2: Usually you will only be able to find MPT x slip fittings at HD as straight adapters, rather than elbows. If the only purpose of the elbow is for the overflow (up for dry, down for siphon), it doesn't really matter.

Charley Diesing
02/04/2013, 10:55 PM
1: If you mean securing the bulkhead to the tank, Teflon tape is not needed. Put the gasket on the baffle side (usually inside), and hand tighten. After the nut is hand tight, crank it an additional 1/4th turn and no more. If you mean connecting the fitting to the bulkhead, Teflon tape is the way to go.I was actually referring to the 90 Elbow that goes into the bulkhead on the overflow side. And was wondering if it was really necessary to use Teflon tape on that side.

2: Usually you will only be able to find MPT x slip fittings at HD as straight adapters, rather than elbows. If the only purpose of the elbow is for the overflow (up for dry, down for siphon), it doesn't really matter.