PDA

View Full Version : Protruding scales

ROBONE20
02/05/2013, 12:29 AM
Have any of you guys experienced seeing scales protruding or falling off of a butterflyfish? I have seen this before during quarantining a Golden Butterflyfish and never really understood what that was (bacterial infection or viral). Can anyone specifically identify what that could be and/or know of a possible treatment for it? I have lost a Golden Butterflyfish during QT before and I remembered it had protruding scales/missing scales just before it died.

ROBONE20
02/09/2013, 01:42 AM
Here's a picture of my Golden Butterfly. Any idea what this may be? Flukes, or bacterial infection of some sort. Its scales seem to be protruding and it looks like they might fall off. There appears to be some reddening near it, but I don't know if it injured himself. He doesn't scratch itself or twitch at all. He's in my DT right now and might be getting picked on by some of my Angels. But he's a very active swimmer and eats like a pig (Frozen food soaked in Zoe and Selcon). Not sure what to medicate him with. So far he's only been going through Cupramine at a low dose (0.3ppm).

Mrscribbled
02/09/2013, 08:47 AM
I'd start with prozi pro. What angles are wirh him?

ROBONE20
02/09/2013, 09:26 AM
Here's a list of its tank mates in my 240 gallon:
French Angel (7")
Queen Angel (6")
Majestic Angel (5")
Goldflake Angel (5")

The Golden Butterfly is approx. 3". It would be either the French or the Queen that I suspect that might be picking at him. When I'm watching the tank everyone behaves nicely though. I'll try PraziPro after the Cupramine is done.

What do you guys think about Paraguard?

Mrscribbled
02/09/2013, 09:44 AM
Para guard claims to be a cure all, I have used it when acclimating clown fish at high doses. I wouldn't trust it beyond that. Specific medications are much better.

Mrscribbled
02/09/2013, 09:55 AM
Thats a large qt, how big is your display?

MrTuskfish
02/09/2013, 12:50 PM
Para guard claims to be a cure all, I have used it when acclimating clown fish at high doses. I wouldn't trust it beyond that. Specific medications are much better.

I agree.
SeaChem is taking a look at some products and changing the claims they make and the accompanying instructions. This was from someone in SC's tech support unit (outstanding folks!) Changes on a few SeaChem products. like Cupramine are badly needed , IMO.