PDA

View Full Version : dinos and livesand? poll!

burnah
02/05/2013, 06:27 AM
hey guys and girls!

its something that bothers me since my last visit at the LFS to get something to rid my dinos. apart from the product he sold me, the owner asked me wether or not i have livesand in the system. He stated that all of the last dino-cases he heard of were tanks that had livesand introduced some time before, and that they rid them with his product. well, so did i.

now i would like to knwo whether or not there could be a link. i have thought a lot about this, and it makes sense for me as these buggers can survive in conditions other microbes wouldnt.

now to my question: did you experience any dinoflagellate infestion and do you have livesand in your system?

greetings martin

Herbie
02/05/2013, 06:54 AM
For what its worth, I had a very clean BB SPS reef tank, UNTIL I added some "live sand" to it. Dinos appeared OVERNIGHT.
I was missing the "natural" tank look with a sand bottom, and decided to slowely add some sand to cover the bottom approx 1". Big Mistake.
The sand I used was not the true live sand out of a tank/sump, but that Caribe Sea Ocean direct stuff.
Now I am dealing with ridding the tank of dinos, not fun.
Should have listened to my logical half on the sand addition ! I am kicking myself now!

Herbie

SweetTang
02/05/2013, 07:39 AM
I recently won a battle with Dinos. Tried lights out, GFO Reactor, increased flow...nothing worked. Then tried Hydrogen Peroxide (1mL/10 Gal) as noted in a thread here, and it was gone in a week. Now hoping they stay gone!

burnah
02/05/2013, 07:58 AM
i also used "livesand" out of a bag, thats what i meant in the poll too. please take note of this!

i guess that transplanted livesand from another tank would not make such an impact, as it does not have to survive months in a bag.

Herbie
02/05/2013, 08:15 AM
Just wondering what product your LFS sold you to rid the tank of dino's ???
Is it working ?
Fauna Marin Algea X is supposed to work on dinos, but hard to find. Peroxide is also supposed to work, but not in 100% of the cases. Different strains of dino's I guess.

Herbie

t4zalews
02/05/2013, 08:16 AM
I don't think its related to live sand, I think its more when it comes into your tank, it grows easier on sand because of the rough texture. I've always had live sand and the first 6 years no dinos, then out of nowhere I got them, probably hitchhiked off something from a non-reputable LFS.

spieszak
02/05/2013, 08:33 AM
I can only vote once, but I have 4 tanks started with live sand, no dinos. Two of those were bagged live sand, two where seeded with sand from tanks that had bagged live sand in them.

burnah
02/05/2013, 09:17 AM
The product Is called algeron, its either a special mixture or they rebottle something at the lfs.. I dont know whats in IT, old fsshioned green glass bottle with lfs logo. But it killed those f.ers in a week, no visible side effects on anemone and surviving coral. Not sure if they ship It.

burnah
02/05/2013, 09:20 AM
I also have to say that my dinos did Not grow on the Sand, but on Rock, glass and Pumps. Still i suspect the bagged livesand to be the reason for this outbreak.. I had the Same Situation two years ago.

Herbie
02/05/2013, 04:11 PM
I also have to say that my dinos did Not grow on the Sand, but on Rock, glass and Pumps. Still i suspect the bagged livesand to be the reason for this outbreak.. I had the Same Situation two years ago.

burnah,
Thats weird, because my outbreak is exactly the same. I have no dinos on my sand, but with in a fraction of an inch of the sand, dinos starting on the rocks, glass, powerheads overflows. Everything but the sand. I have a very small dusting of diatoms on my sand, but no dinos.
Here is a perfect example..........close up pic of a piece of live rock ON the sand bed infested with dinos.......but none on the sand at all.

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h319/reefherbie/Dino4_zpse2339bdf.jpg

My dinos came literally overnight after I added the bagged "live sand". I dont think its coinsidence in my case either. I am sure the sand had something to do with it. I changed nothing else in the system for a few weeks before the sand, and overnight after the sand............dinos.......... :headwallblue:.

Just for kicks.......what kind of bagged sand did you use ?

Herbie

bertoni
02/05/2013, 09:51 PM
Lots of people have dinoflagellate problems in tanks with no sand at all. I've added many live sand cultures and have never had a lasting problem with dinoflagellates. I might see some a small microbial bloom for a day or so, but that's it.

burnah
02/06/2013, 05:34 AM
yes i do not think its mandatory, but i suspect a strong link from bagged livesand to dinoflagellate infestion of the one or other type, as there are tons of different ones.

herbie, i think i used caribsea livesand. a very fine, little bit pink sand. do you have a microscope? would be interesting to see the strain you have, i have some shots of mine and they were identified as ostreopsis - http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=20225846&postcount=368

greetings.

Herbie
02/06/2013, 06:43 AM
yes i do not think its mandatory, but i suspect a strong link from bagged livesand to dinoflagellate infestion of the one or other type, as there are tons of different ones.

herbie, i think i used caribsea livesand. a very fine, little bit pink sand. do you have a microscope? would be interesting to see the strain you have, i have some shots of mine and they were identified as ostreopsis - http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=20225846&postcount=368

greetings.

No Microscope. Maybe I can send a sample to "pants" if he is still doing the study on dinoflagellates. He is only about 2 hours away from me so it should survive the mail.

BTW, Caribesea sand in my case also.

Herbie