PDA

View Full Version : Gfo and carbon reactor

Jblaise
02/05/2013, 09:39 AM
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-gfo-carbon-reactor-dual.html

Is this worth putting in a reef tank?
I'm not clear on how it works also.

I don't need co2 right?

Does it just work like a ro/di ..where water is pushed through the chambers by a small pump?

phxreefer
02/05/2013, 09:47 AM
It works just the way you think it does. You might consider the spectra pure reactor as you can control the flow to each chamber separately. Also the BRS deluxe reactor is really nice. I have both on different tanks and like them both.

phxreefer
02/05/2013, 09:49 AM
Oh and no you don't need CO2. Just a small pump like a MJ1200.

Palting
02/05/2013, 10:06 AM
Is it worth putting in a reef tank? My answer would be no. I have NextReef MRI reactors, comes complete with pump, for GFO. I used it for about 3 months. Then my refugium matured, and the reactor became superfluous. It are now on a shelf, maybe use it for biopellets or something someday. For carbon, I have a bag where all the sump flow goes through. For phosphates, the refugium is a natural and cheaper (better?) way to clean them than a GFO reactor, plus a refugium does so much more. Refugium itself, not just sump, has to be at least 10% of the system volume to be effective, and that may be a concern if space is limited.

Jblaise
02/05/2013, 11:55 AM
Very good information guys thanks. I think I plan on adding a 40 gal breeder sump and refugium to a 75 gallon tank build I'll be doing in a few months. So if the reactors are that simple to run I might as well buy one and try it with the refugium..If i end up running only carbon in it later ..little to no lose..the mesh bag carbon Im using now seems to be a pain to try and place. I also am looking into dosing Calcium and Alk. I heard Kalwassers was the basic for tanks that dont require alot then 2 step if I grow alot of stony later.

Ron Reefman
02/05/2013, 01:16 PM
+1 for what Palting said.

I keep a reactor in my system empty and I have GFO and AC on the shelf in case I ever need it. But in 3 years I've only used each one for 3-4 weeks to solve a specific issue. Otherwise it isn't required.

D-Nak
02/05/2013, 05:54 PM
I had two deluxe reactors in tandem (I was never a fan of the dual reactor since it didn't offer enough flexibility) and used it for about a year. One day I removed it and never put it back on -- made no difference. I do think, however, it helps with newer tanks that aren't dialed in yet since you can add GFO when phosphates rise, and carbon when trying to polish the water. I've considered adding a single reactor with just carbon, but haven't found the need.

calbert0
02/05/2013, 06:14 PM
Carbon at all times (not ideal for every system, but in my personal experience my tank seems to like it, so why not? Carbon is Very Cheap)

GFO is EXPENSIVE

Use GFO when you need it for phosphate reduction; but when you do need it don't over do it. Corals (especially SPS) really don't like it when all phosphates are immediately ripped from the water column because a large amount of GFO was suddenly introduced to the system.

D-Nak
02/05/2013, 06:26 PM
Carbon at all times (not ideal for every system, but in my personal experience my tank seems to like it, so why not? Carbon is Very Cheap)

GFO is EXPENSIVE

Use GFO when you need it for phosphate reduction; but when you do need it don't over do it. Corals (especially SPS) really don't like it when all phosphates are immediately ripped from the water column because a large amount of GFO was suddenly introduced to the system.

Very good point. There are a few threads of accounts of overdoing GFO use with negative results. You have to be careful when using it, especially with SPS.