PDA

View Full Version : Adding another tang

greg1786
02/05/2013, 09:37 PM
So i kicked the question around a few weeks ago when i first set up my 125 asking for livestock recomendations. I want to narrow the question to just tangs. I have it narrowed down to a white cheek or powder grey, yellow tang, mimic lemonpeel, and atlantic blue. My question is, once i choose the tang ill go with, is it even a good idea at this point? The reason i ask is because i have a lavender tang that was 2.5 inches when i got it, and is now 4 inches. Its only been in the 125 for a few weeks but my main concern is simply how big she is and how fast she got there. There arent a lot of ppl out thhere that own this tang so its tough to find experienced opinions. She is very docile but there are no tangs in the tank with her. Is she too big/ mature to handle another tang or is it feesible to add one of the four ive narrowed it down to? If so should i try to get one around four inches or will a significantly smaller tang be ok.

ingtar_shinowa
02/06/2013, 12:18 AM
I have 3 tangs in a 125, a Lavender, Tomini, and Black/Scopas hybrid. The Lavender is certainly the most aggressive. but he doesn't swipe or nip the other fish. He does move frags around, and hate my 2 newer clams (had to cover them in eggcrate to keep them open more than 10% of the day)

I think alot will depend on what you add. I would try to get a larger yellow tang because its a different genus and Zebrasoma can usually hold their own. The rest in your list are the same genus as the lavender so I would avoid those. I do love my lavender tang thogh, so pretty and while not a 'rare' fish, very uncommon in the hobby.

greg1786
02/06/2013, 01:14 AM
I noticed your reply in my broader post about what fish i should add in general. Thanks for the reply much appreciated. What order did you add these fish?? How far apart did you add them? And last how big were they when you added each one?? Thanks again for the reply

ingtar_shinowa
02/06/2013, 01:47 AM
Tomini 2" and Lavender 3" added at the same time, Black added 3 months later 5-6". My Lavender is growing so fast. he is probably 5 inches now.

greg1786
02/06/2013, 04:32 PM
Wow thats awesome, i seem to have the same thing going on with my lavender she grows so fast!! Ill post a picture when i get home from work shes beautiful! Do u have a pic u can post of yours? Ive never seen another one in an aquarium other than mine

ACBlinky
02/06/2013, 05:17 PM
If you want multiple tangs, try to keep fish with different shapes/colours/feeding patterns. I have a yellow, a kole and a hippo together -- the yellow and kole are both about 3", the hippo is just a little thing, about 1.25" long, and they all ignore each other. Even if they're all chasing frozen foods, or visiting the algae clip, they haven't got a problem with each other.

If you've already got the lavender, why not go with a yellow? They're fairly common, but they're popular for a reason - they're tough, gorgeous, and easy-going for the most part. IME they also eat just about anything offered :)

ingtar_shinowa
02/06/2013, 10:12 PM
Not a very good picture, but embarrassingly the best I got.
http://gi24.photobucket.com/groups/c38/SHJAUZ4QL0/DSC_0958.jpg