PDA

View Full Version : How do I remove some sand from my tank?

meegwell
02/06/2013, 01:20 PM
My tank is new (four weeks post cycle) and the inhabitants are new (4 total spread over past 4 weeks) so there shouldn't be any big build up hiding under the sand.

I dont want the amount I have it piles up too high in some areas and i would just prefer less of a sand bed (it miht average 2-3 inches) in this 90g

Another issue is my 3 week old diamond goby is making a mess of it. The sand is caribsea special seaflor.

What is a good technique to pull some of the sand out of the tank?

Allmost
02/06/2013, 01:21 PM
siphon it out.

but the goby will continue to do its thing, spitting sand everywhere.

meegwell
02/06/2013, 03:00 PM
siphon it out.

but the goby will continue to do its thing, spitting sand everywhere.

I dont own what I thought to be a sand vaccuum that all shops have - hose with a wider section on the end ?(looks like a poly flame thrower) - will that actualy remove the sand or just clean it? I always thought it somehow cleaned the sand and did not actually remove it.

As far as that little f8@ker goby goes, I'm just trying to give him less to work with and hope he cycles through it all quicker (its new so theres also a lot of silt coming out)...don't get me wrong, I like that little Ba$tard but he gives me big headaches with the constant snow storm in the tank. Little p!$$er...the way he looks at me...stares me down as he's sifting sand...if he had fingers I know he would flip me the bird. He gobbled down a brand new sexy shrimp right in front of my 5 yo daughter. chewed it up with half the corpse hanging out of his mouth...it was a bad choice for the tank so i dont blame him but I know he enjoyed it.

His actions are not the only reason...I just feel like I put more in than I wanted.

dave sullivan
02/06/2013, 04:48 PM
I would buy a 1" siphon hose and siphon what you want out. Its that simple. Have a great day!

chrisfont23
02/07/2013, 12:18 AM
+1 on the siphon.

ChipE
02/07/2013, 08:51 PM
Siphon water into a filter sock in the sump. Or just use a standard measuring cup to take a little out at a time.