PDA

View Full Version : Copepod explosion!?!

brett7768
02/06/2013, 04:12 PM
So my 72 bow has been up about 6 weeks now. And the past few days I have seen little critters running around on the sand Bed and rocks. Nothing unusual at all. I just came home from work today and found thousands and thousands of copepods all over the glass. Cause for alarm? Prob not, but why and how did this population explode over night? Anyone else experience this?

heathlindner25
02/06/2013, 04:25 PM
its normal, a year from now you'll wish you all had them all back.

Touring
02/06/2013, 06:38 PM
Lawn mower Benny time

blanden.adam
02/06/2013, 08:41 PM
Yup, everyone experiences it. It's completely normal and just another stage you go through as your tank matures. In time they will die off and the population will become more stable.

brandon429
02/06/2013, 08:57 PM
ur lucky im about to order more and pay up

snowcarver75
02/06/2013, 09:08 PM
its normal, a year from now you'll wish you all had them all back.

Lol so true. I wonder though how we can go about stimulating these early universes' conditions? What are copepod competitors?
a) Bacteria?
b) Sponges?
c) Algea?
d) Red planaria and other useless pets like bristle worms?
e) Snails and stuff?

Aquat
02/06/2013, 09:48 PM
If I could have a healthy colony of copepods without them increasing or decreasing. I'd be a happy hobbyist with a happy Mandarin Dragonet.

symon_say
02/07/2013, 03:12 PM
Lawn mower Benny time

Lawnmower eats algae.

Dragonets eats pods.

SandyB
03/12/2013, 01:57 PM
Yup, everyone experiences it. It's completely normal and just another stage you go through as your tank matures. In time they will die off and the population will become more stable.

Ok so my tank has been up for 6 to 8 weeks now. I haven't seen any little critters like this running around. I'm wondering about this because I would really like a mandarin and I've been told that they will starve without these critters. Am I doing something wrong?

nynick
03/12/2013, 02:12 PM
Ok so my tank has been up for 6 to 8 weeks now. I haven't seen any little critters like this running around. I'm wondering about this because I would really like a mandarin and I've been told that they will starve without these critters. Am I doing something wrong?

Maybe there weren't any on your rocks to start with or your cycle got a bit too harsh and killed them off. You culd also have fish in your tank that is very good at eating them. I have a pair of Yellow Wrasse that keep my pod population at a bare minimum.

SandyB
03/12/2013, 02:31 PM
Maybe there weren't any on your rocks to start with or your cycle got a bit too harsh and killed them off. You culd also have fish in your tank that is very good at eating them. I have a pair of Yellow Wrasse that keep my pod population at a bare minimum.

The only fish I have right now are damsels. I haven't added any others yet because I don't want to rush. Well ok, I WANT to rush but I'm NOT gonna do it. I want to do this correctly. :D
I do have hermit crabs and some snails (not sure of the name, but they live under the sand and have a "snorkel" that pops up out of the sand.

asudavew
03/12/2013, 03:30 PM
some snails (not sure of the name, but they live under the sand and have a "snorkel" that pops up out of the sand.

That's just Gary.

MEOW

SandyB
03/12/2013, 03:33 PM
That's just Gary.

MEOW

:frog: