PDA

View Full Version : 1" supply =1"return?

Avonlea,PA
02/07/2013, 07:30 AM
I'm getting ready to order some plumbing parts today but I haven't been able to get an answer on this. If my supply line to sump is 1", then should my return line to tank be 1? I'm setting up a Herbie on a 90g using an Ocean Runner 2500 for my return pump. I know it has 3/4" output. Would I size up?

power boat jim
02/07/2013, 07:51 AM
If you are using a 1'' line from the pump to the tank and a 1'' ruturn to the sump its ok. As long as the 1'' line back to the sump is fairly straight and short. Otherwise I would use a larger drain line maybe 1 1/4 or 1 1/2. Over time the lines get crusty inside and simply dont carry the amount of water they did when they were new.

Having the tank overflow due to too small a drain line is not on the list of things you want to experience.

t4zalews
02/07/2013, 08:42 AM
It really more depends on flow rate of the pump. I use a gooseneck on my pump return that is 3/4" and my return is 1.5". As long as your return pump flow is handled by the drain you shouldnt have any problems. You can have any size return

Avonlea,PA
02/07/2013, 09:20 AM
If you are using a 1'' line from the pump to the tank and a 1'' ruturn to the sump its ok. As long as the 1'' line back to the sump is fairly straight and short. Otherwise I would use a larger drain line maybe 1 1/4 or 1 1/2. Over time the lines get crusty inside and simply dont carry the amount of water they did when they were new.

Having the tank overflow due to too small a drain line is not on the list of things you want to experience.

1" is the size of my bulkhead and I can't go any larger. It sounds like maybe I should just go with 3/4" for the return just to be safe.

power boat jim
02/07/2013, 10:12 AM
1" is the size of my bulkhead and I can't go any larger. It sounds like maybe I should just go with 3/4" for the return just to be safe.

Or put a valve on the pump side so you can throttle the flow of water coming into the tank from the pump. Its nice to be able to vary the flow into the tank when you need to.

gbru316
02/07/2013, 10:14 AM
Or put a valve on the pump side so you can throttle the flow of water coming into the tank from the pump. Its nice to be able to vary the flow into the tank when you need to.

this.

Avonlea,PA
02/07/2013, 11:06 AM

I was planning on a gate valve on the return. So you think I should just go with 1" and adjust with the valve? Would this matter if the output of the pump is 3/4"?

FranktheTankTx
02/07/2013, 11:14 AM
If I were you, size up the return to 1" & install a ball valve on the return. Never use ball valve on drain line.

reeferman1128
02/07/2013, 11:18 AM
the ocean runner 2500 has a starting flowing of 625 gallons per hour. With any head, angles or valves this will mostlikely be a flow rate of closer to 500 gallons per hour. 1" pipe will drain at 600 gallons per hour. you are good to go with all plumbing being 1"

reeferman1128
02/07/2013, 11:35 AM
there is also a flow rate calculator on the main page of RC for you to play with

SGT_York
02/07/2013, 01:05 PM
Do you have a second hole for an emergency or back-up drain? If so you'll be fine if not make sure to purchase a good 1.5" filter and plumb it so you can remove and clean easily.
Herbies and BA drains are snail magnets.

symon_say
02/07/2013, 01:12 PM
Return pipe means nothing to drain pipe, return flow is determine by pump. No matter what if pipe is 3/4" or 1" for the pump, it will send its capability, so forget about return pipe and focus on pump flow and drain capability of different pipe sizes.

Avonlea,PA
02/07/2013, 01:14 PM
Do you have a second hole for an emergency or back-up drain? If so you'll be fine if not make sure to purchase a good 1.5" filter and plumb it so you can remove and clean easily.
Herbies and BA drains are snail magnets.

I just have two holes; one for drain and one for emergency. I've purchased a strainer to put on the drain.

Thanks for the input everyone!

symon_say
02/07/2013, 03:01 PM
Use both for drain and put the return over tank rim, this will avoid an overflow in case drain fails.

Avonlea,PA
02/07/2013, 03:48 PM
That was the plan. :)