PDA

View Full Version : Dosing thoughts

jtbgonesailing
02/07/2013, 09:56 AM
I have been dosing 2part for several years and am able to maintain the Alk and Cal at the desired leavels. The dosing is split between lights On, Cal and lights Off, Alk on the hr. for both doses. My question is, is this best practice? I've seen where some dose the 2part product all at night, say Cal on the hr and Alk on the 1/2 hr, while others use a 24 hr doseing regement. What is best and why?

Thanks in advance.
John

disc1
02/07/2013, 10:05 AM
Six of one or a half dozen of the other. If it is working and your levels are right then you are doing it right. No one method is best for everyone. It all comes down to what works in your individual tank.

bertoni
02/08/2013, 01:29 AM
I don't think it matter much, either. I'd probably break the alkalinity dose into 0.5 dKH units or smaller if I were using a dosing pump and had touchy corals.

Ron Reefman
02/08/2013, 07:56 AM
Reefdosingpumps.com has really stout medical quality 'dual' dosing system that can run 24/7. I just set one up about 4 weeks ago. I dose 275 ml of cal & soda ash which took about 10 days to get really dialed in. Since then I've been at 420 cal, 8.5 alk and 8.2 pH 24/7. You can get them with battery back up as well.

tmz
02/08/2013, 09:17 AM
Folks dose sucessfully in differnt ways with different systems." Best practice" is subjective.

FWIW,

I spread the dose for calcium and alkalinity over the course of the day:

24/7 for calcium hydroxide in 150 increments ,10minutes apart,and;

small amounts of calcium chloride and soda ash( baked baking soda) separately , in 4 increments, two in the am and two at night,via perstaltic pumps .

My goals are to keep alk and salinity as steady as practical. Night time pH drops aren't a concern as long a it stays over 7.7 . PH swings about .2 in my aauriums from 8.15 to 8.35 ,daily.

If you are using soda ash for alkalinity and dosing a lot of it at once, dosing at night gives a little more cushion to the temporary pH spike it can cause.

jtbgonesailing
02/08/2013, 02:08 PM
David, Jonathan, Ron and Tom, First off allow me to say, Thank you for your insight and comments. As I stated I dose with dosing pumps soda ash for 12 hrs during lights out on the hr and cal on the hr for 12 hrs during light on period. Believe I will go to 24/7 with cal on the hr and soda ash on the 1/2hr to see if I can further refine stability for Cal and Alk, although I have never tracked through the day or night. I have always taken my readings between 9 and 10 in the morning weekly. I currently have a PH swing of 0.21 between the daytime high and night low of 8.04. Once again, Thank you....

tmz
02/08/2013, 03:52 PM
You are welcome , good luck.

schatzi
02/08/2013, 06:55 PM
Reefdosingpumps.com has really stout medical quality 'dual' dosing system that can run 24/7. I just set one up about 4 weeks ago. I dose 275 ml of cal & soda ash which took about 10 days to get really dialed in. Since then I've been at 420 cal, 8.5 alk and 8.2 pH 24/7. You can get them with battery back up as well.

thanks for the link. They were much cheaper than I expected them to be. I will have to keep these in mind.

96slowbra
02/09/2013, 11:08 AM
i have been dosing brs recipe 1 and i am now starting to run into problems with precipitation. i am dosing over ml of each per day on a 54 gallon dt. i have to dose like crazy to keep my cal up. but i have to pull pumps out and vinegar bath every month. i dose every 4 hours 15 min at a time, this allows for a 2 hour differential between alk and cal. maybe i need to dose less at a time and more often?

disc1
02/09/2013, 11:19 AM
i have been dosing brs recipe 1 and i am now starting to run into problems with precipitation. i am dosing over ml of each per day on a 54 gallon dt. i have to dose like crazy to keep my cal up. but i have to pull pumps out and vinegar bath every month. i dose every 4 hours 15 min at a time, this allows for a 2 hour differential between alk and cal. maybe i need to dose less at a time and more often?

What are your alk and calcium levels? How about magnesium? If mag is low you'll have a hard time keeping alk up without precipitation.

96slowbra
02/09/2013, 11:41 AM
alk: 9.1
cal:400
mag: 1400

and my ph stays between 8.2 and 8.0

i have been keeping my mag a little higher to help me maintain better cal/alk.

bertoni
02/11/2013, 01:13 AM
Those numbers are all okay. I might lower the magnesium to 1275 ppm or so over time, but 1400 ppm should be safe. The higher level won't help with calcium and alkalinity.