PDA

View Full Version : Waspfish shedding question

Moort82
02/07/2013, 11:06 AM
When a lionfish/scorpion sheds their cuticle layer does that include the membrane over the eyes? I'm assuming the leafy waspfish i have is similar and it has been in nothing but good health and is reactive and active as you'd hope it to be but i noticed today that the eyes seemed to have a slight film developing/scuffing off. It still fed and the rest of the body looks fine as is the strong colouration, so thinking this is either the start of a shed or the last remaining bit. That is assuming it is normal and i don't see any reason why it wouldn't be as it seems in such good health.

namxas
02/08/2013, 01:44 PM
Yes, the eyes can go a bit cloudy during a molt. Keep an eye on the fish tho.

Have you seen bits of cuticle in the tank?

Moort82
02/08/2013, 02:35 PM
Thanks for the confirmation. The eyes today look much brighter and are back to normal so i guess its all finished. I haven't seen any cuticle in the tank but there is a good washing current in there which might have got rid of some of the evidence. I'm not sure either if this was/is the start of the shed or the end and i've just missed the rest. It certainly wasn't evident like i have witnessed in volitans before.

namxas
02/08/2013, 02:54 PM
I rarely see any of our waspfishes' cuticles unless I happen to catch one in the process of being sloughed off, so no worries there.

LOL, an adult volitans can certainly make a mess in the water column when it sheds, can't it?

Glad all is well.

Moort82
02/08/2013, 03:18 PM
Thanks Greg.

Do these shed as often as a volitans might?