PDA

View Full Version : Aiptasia in Zoanthid Colony

nsmith_mma
02/07/2013, 01:51 PM
I recently bought a large zoanthid rock and have noticed a couple of aiptasia anemones on it. Some are between the polyps. Is there any way I can kill the aiptasia without killing the coral? They are very small right now so targeting them will be difficult. The coral has been in the tank since Saturday (2-2-13). Should I just remove it? Should I remove it, frag it up, and put the good pieces back in? Any advice would be very helpful.

KafudaFish
02/07/2013, 02:02 PM
It is easy to remove them between polyps.

1. Turn off pumps and powerheads.
2. Make a posion tipped spear using kalk paste and a bamboo skewer. Moisten the tip and roll it in dry powder.
3. Lightly brush the zoa mat near the aiptasia so the zoa polyps close up.
4. Insert spear into aiptasia, twist a few times and pull out.
5. Repeat.
6. Turn equipment back on.

Or do this in a shallow plastic tub if you are worried. The first death makes it easier because it will slime up and keep the paste on the tip better. If any of the powder falls on the zoas just sweep it off with your hand by making a wave.

fshaqrmman
02/07/2013, 02:08 PM
I have had luck 2 ways:
1. Manual removal of aiptasia with tweezers
2. Aiptasia X in a syringe targeting the aiptasia

Both have worked well for me...especially on my zoa rocks.

Herbie
02/07/2013, 02:11 PM
I usually inject hot kalk water into the offending aps via syringe.
I just found one inside a mat of zoas. Lightly brushed the zoas so they would close up, then stuck the ap with the syringe of hot water/kalk and injected a small amount. Ap is gone, and zoas are doing just fine. I did it right in the tank.

HTH,
Herbie

nsmith_mma
02/07/2013, 02:46 PM
I have had luck 2 ways:
1. Manual removal of aiptasia with tweezers
2. Aiptasia X in a syringe targeting the aiptasia

Both have worked well for me...especially on my zoa rocks.

Wouldn't removing them with tweezers cause them to shatter and spread?

fshaqrmman
02/11/2013, 02:03 PM
Wouldn't removing them with tweezers cause them to shatter and spread?

I was able to pull them directly off the rock completely in tact.

Palting
02/11/2013, 03:07 PM
I use a Majano wand. A little pricey, but I use it to kill mojano, aiptasia, ugly miushrooms, larger GSP, etc, with other coral in close proximity to the "evil" I want to vaporize. Inventor is actually in this forums. goes by PaulB. http://www.marinedepot.com/Majano_Wand_Aiptasia_Majano_Eliminator_Majano_Aiptasia_Eliminator-PS_Aquatics_LLC-4P1111-FIMIMW-vi.html

solitude
02/12/2013, 12:28 AM
Use lemon juice.

Ron Reefman
02/17/2013, 05:16 AM
I use a Majano wand. A little pricey, but I use it to kill mojano, aiptasia, ugly miushrooms, larger GSP, etc, with other coral in close proximity to the "evil" I want to vaporize. Inventor is actually in this forums. goes by PaulB. http://www.marinedepot.com/Majano_Wand_Aiptasia_Majano_Eliminator_Majano_Aiptasia_Eliminator-PS_Aquatics_LLC-4P1111-FIMIMW-vi.html

+1
I just got one a week ago and it's better than a laser or the aiptazer. Great for getting at pests that crop up in a coral colony. I killed a couple majano of a big clam's shell and the clam didn't even close up!