PDA

View Full Version : How many/what kind of fish do you feed per cube?

gaubow22
02/08/2013, 04:44 PM
Trying to get a more definitive idea of what would constitute feeding "heavy" vs feeding "light". Using one frozen cube of Brine Shrimp as our constant measurement how much do you use?

I use 1/2 cube to feed, one fire shrimp, one Coral Beauty, one Cleaner Wrasse, One tank-raised Perc Clown, and one small Regal Tang. I have a few frogspawn corals.

I don't feed frozen Brine every day and I am not looking to get into the debate of what types of food etc. But I do feed something frozen every day, and about that quantity. I also sprinkle some algae flake every day, which appears to be about the same amount, roughly, as the shrimp.

Would love your thoughts if I am considered a heavy feeder or light, based on the amount given per cube. Hope that makes sense.

bnumair
02/08/2013, 05:59 PM
just pout enough for fish to eat with in 3 min.
this doesnt mean make ur tank a snow globe either just put some watch wait and put some more....... then u will have an idea how much u need to feed fish with in 3 min.

Dexters Reef
02/08/2013, 09:18 PM
I use 1 frozen cube of hikari mysis, usually twice a day but sometimes I only feed once a day. Fish are:

4-5" sebae mono
black and white clownfish
male lyretail anthia
female lyretail anthia
4 blue chromis

Ive been told this is heavy feeding, but my paramaters are great, I dont have algae outbreaks, and my fish and sps/corals are all happy

markandamber11
02/09/2013, 12:25 AM
yep im of the opinion if you have a matched skimmer for your tank along with good flow and enough live rock you can feed heavy....

mil hse
02/09/2013, 12:46 AM
I feed WAY more than that. I use the flat sheets of brine shrimp so it's hard to say. But if I had to compare to the cube packs I would use about 6 cubes a day plus 2 of mysis and 4 sheets of nori (seaweed) twice a week. I have 4 tangs, 2 wrasses, 2 chromis, 2 dwarf angels, 2 watchmen, 7 blue eyed cardnels 2 anthias, 1 hawkfish, 1 blenny and a fire shrimp. Which them eat all of it in about a minute. It's crazy how much these guys eat. But there fat and happy :-)

mil hse
02/09/2013, 12:50 AM
It ll just take sometime to learn your fish. If there all smaller fish they will eat less. So I'd say 2 cubes is a good start. Just put a little in at a time.

Denbf58
02/09/2013, 08:28 AM
there is no set rule but as bnumair said what they will eat in 3 min you may also want to change up what you feed brine shrimp is not very nutritionist you can add mysis shrimp and some sea weed for the tang good feeding help keep your fish healthy