PDA

View Full Version : Coral ID and mucus buildup on coral

tortib
02/09/2013, 01:42 PM
Hello,

I recently purchased this coral I think it's a goniastreapora (spelling, that's what the fish store told me it was). I'm having a problem with the coral building up mucus at night. Every morning when I turn my tank lights on it has more mucus buildup on it than the night before. It hasn't been opening up like it was in the fish store under lights. With my lights off it was opening up a little bit but now it's not even doing that. I wanted to know what would cause the mucus build up it's not near any corals that would sting it, I've had it about a week. Is the coral dying? Please help! Thanks!

Here is what my tank looks like.
Ammonia: 0
Nitrate: 0 - 5 ppm
Lighting: 2x24watt 420nm lights with 2x24watt 10000k HO lights T5

I have attached a picture of what the coral looks like as well.

cloak
02/09/2013, 01:59 PM
Goniopora?

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but this coral is one of the most difficult corals to keep long term. Lot's of horror stories out there. Maybe this article will help. GL

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2002/12/inverts

tortib
02/09/2013, 02:11 PM
Thanks for your reply. Well it's sad to hear that it's difficult to keep, I've been feeding it zooplankton when the polyps are out a little bit, it seems to pick up the zooplankton since the polyps retract a bit when I dump the zooplankton in the tank, so I think it's feeding. Does anyone have any tips on how to keep this coral? Is my coral deteriorating, is there any way to save this coral?