PDA

View Full Version : Anybody using the Vertex Libra Doser?

moppy
02/09/2013, 12:57 PM
I am trying to decide which doser to get and I'm leaning towards the Vertex Libra.

It's for a 190 gallon SPS up top with LPS down below.

Any thoughts or opinions on the Libra?

moppy
02/12/2013, 12:56 AM
Nobody?

zack1a
02/12/2013, 09:08 PM
I have one, I love the interface. Unfortunately, I recently started a new job and havent had much time to fool with it. If you have some specific questions I can probably answer them for you.

moppy
02/13/2013, 12:15 PM
Was really just curious if it was worth buying as I am looking for a doser for a 190gallon SPS with LPS tank...

Anyone have the Libra Dosing Containers?

Duc1098
02/13/2013, 04:53 PM
I just got my stepper model today from Premium Aquatics. After having BRS send me the DC model instead and fiddling with that before realizing it was the wrong model I can say this, the stepper model is almost silent compared to the DC model. You can barely hear it! I just got it all set up and it is awesome. No more dosing before going into work any more.

I'm also interested in hearing people thoughts on the containers.

moppy
02/14/2013, 07:48 PM
Anyone else? Libra comments?

zack1a
02/14/2013, 08:31 PM
I have the 2.5L short vessel. It looks sharp, it's easy to use, and I'll soon buy another. Could you find a cheaper route? Sure, you could use an old salt bucket if you wanted to. For me, I like the equipment in this hobby as much as I like the tank inhabitants. If i see a product I like, from a company I like, I'll buy it. I did hear some people having an issue with the 2.5L tall vessel's JG fitting, however a Vertex rep fixed the issue here on RC.

I really want the 5.0L tall vessel, but I can only find it at bulk reef supply and I don't want to pay for shipping.

Good to hear it all worked out for you Duc. I'm also glad to hear the stepper is much quiter. It's hard to tell its the only one I've heard.

MentalNote
02/14/2013, 10:45 PM
I had the Libra DC model for a few weeks. I returned it. The interface was interesting but the pump was extremely loud. I even built a box for it with 3/4" plywood lined with foam but it was still too loud. I didn't enclose the bottom of the box due to the tubing.

It is also limited to 5000ml per day or about 1.3 gallons. I do not know if the stepper model is higher. I was trying to automate water changes with a maximum requirement of 2.5 gallons per day.

By loud I mean it would wake my wife up during the night from the living room, 2 rooms away.

moppy
02/15/2013, 11:03 AM
Wow, one person is saying the DC is silent and another says it is super loud...

Can you provide the link to where the rep fixed the problem with the containers?

Thanks

thanhreef
02/15/2013, 01:53 PM
stepper and DC are the same except stepper model is more silent and precise (use in the lab).

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2252074

zack1a
02/16/2013, 06:06 PM
I have the stepper model if I was unclear. I agree that its very quiet.

A peristaltic pump is an expensive route to go to automate water changes, but you can buy one capable of pumping larger volumes from a lab supply store. The problem you run into with a larger volume pump is they aren't as accurate, unless you buy a crazy high dollar one. A dosing pump is designed for just that, dosing. They are only capable of dosing small amounts as accurately as possible.

OneStepAhead
04/13/2014, 06:08 AM
I have the stepper model if I was unclear. I agree that its very quiet.

A peristaltic pump is an expensive route to go to automate water changes, but you can buy one capable of pumping larger volumes from a lab supply store. The problem you run into with a larger volume pump is they aren't as accurate, unless you buy a crazy high dollar one. A dosing pump is designed for just that, dosing. They are only capable of dosing small amounts as accurately as possible.

Better to pick up a dual headed Stenner 100 or 180 series pump for auto water changes if you want to use a peristaltic. One head pulls water out, the other head puts water in at the exact same rate (in theory anyways). Got mine last week and haven't hooked it up yet, but there are quite a few threads on the subject with some positive results. Now I'm trying to decide between the Libra or the Bubble Magnus for dosing.

nitr8
07/26/2014, 05:43 AM
I'm interested in the 5L dosing container but I cant find dimensions anywhere...can one of you help me out?

thanhreef
07/26/2014, 07:31 AM
I'm interested in the 5L dosing container but I cant find dimensions anywhere...can one of you help me out?

Libra Vessel 2.5 T

The 2.5 T have a smaller footprint than its counterpart and are made for stands that have more headroom. This sleek design complements any sump room and or enclosure. The John Guest fitting is mounted directly center on the top of the lid.

Dimensions: H 17"(440mm), W 4.75"(120mm)

Reefflapper
05/26/2015, 11:43 AM
I know this thread is older, but I am looking into getting one of these as well.

Duc1098
05/30/2015, 06:52 PM
I would get the Neptune dos over the Vertex Libra. I have the stepper model and it's great but good luck finding parts if something does break. It seems like most of the U.S. Vendors are clearing their stock of all Vertex equipment.

F. Tietzsch
06/23/2015, 12:49 PM
Hey I have it as well and works perfect, but always had the doubt about that stoichometry system that they always talked about, did VERTEX never released it?

Wazzel
06/23/2015, 01:20 PM
I have the DC version and it is a little loud. I got some slim containers from US plastics that take up much less room.

StevieK
12/24/2015, 09:40 AM
So if you are to buy a doser these days ... which would it be?

BULGARIA
05/27/2016, 07:58 AM
Hi did you buy the Vertex libra ?
AND if you did are U happy with it.....

hart24601
05/27/2016, 08:04 AM
i would get the neptune dos over the vertex libra. I have the stepper model and it's great but good luck finding parts if something does break. It seems like most of the u.s. Vendors are clearing their stock of all vertex equipment.

+1

max6297
05/27/2016, 08:51 AM
I have used The standard Vertex Libra for about 3-years. It is very simple to setup.

I often make adjustments of Alk & Cal due to coral growth. It it much easier than a calcium reactor. I really do not hear the sound of the doser running anymore.