PDA

View Full Version : Calcium at 700ppm!

stephent89
02/10/2013, 02:21 AM
Ok I'm trying to figure out how this has happened. I don't dose anything at all. I have a 20 gallon nano and I just let the weekly water changes keep everything in check. I even just did a 50% water change yesterday without a change in calcium level. The test kit I'm using is API and it doesn't expire until 2015. I use instant ocean reef crystals and it does say it has extra calcium which is the only thing I can see that's causing this. Is there a way I can correct this problem? I have a smaller birdsnest coral and a very small frogspawn, but besides that all softies. (By the way, I know I did the test correctly so that's not the problem).

bnumair
02/10/2013, 09:18 PM
if there is no dosing then i doubt the test. 700 is very high. i am not aware of any salt with such high levels of cal.
double check ur cal test and take water sample to someone else with another kit.

twogun21
02/10/2013, 09:40 PM
I have to agree with Bnumair, 700 seems like a possible issue with the test kit. Have the water double checked with a different test kit.

What are the other water parameters coming up, specifically KH. I would think the calcium would precipite out of solution. If for some strange reason it is a true reading look at the article by Randy Holmes Farley on calcium and alkalinity interaction.

stephent89
02/10/2013, 11:10 PM
Ok thanks, I'll use a different test kit and see if there is a change.

tmz
02/11/2013, 12:11 AM
Well, depending on how it mixed; it's pssoble with a 50% water change. The calcium likely won't harm anything if alk is ok and no precipitation is occureing. I'd stick to smaller waterr changes an do a series of 3 gallon changes with a low calcium salt mix mix to get it under 550 or so.

bertoni
02/11/2013, 01:36 AM
I'd try measuring some freshly-mixed saltwater, and I agree that a second opinion on the test kit might be very useful.

stephent89
02/11/2013, 08:17 PM
What salt mix would you recommend? All of the ones at the local store say they have extra calcium. I went to petco and even there own brand said extra calcium.

stephent89
02/11/2013, 08:22 PM
By the way I mixed it up and let it sit for 24 hrs. I just ordered a refractometer...I know I should have been using one already. However I don't believe it to be off by too much. I've read that they can be quite accurate if taken care of and carefully used, but I want to know for sure. If the salinity is actually higher then that will be my answer to the higher calcium

bertoni
02/11/2013, 08:43 PM
Instant Ocean should be lower than 700 ppm. It should be good enough. If you want to make a custom mix, ESV allows you to set some of the parameters yourself. You could check that product. I think it's more costly, though.