PDA

View Full Version : Connecting an EB8 to the APEX wirelessly

dunc101
02/11/2013, 10:06 AM
Hi all,
I have my main reef in 1 room of the house and then I have my frag tank and QT tanks in a closet that is not accessible from the main APEX. What I would like to do is install another EB8 inside the closet with the frag tank/QT tank, however, their is really not a way to connect this EB8 to the main APEX unit (running the AquaBus cable is not feasible because of the distance and aesthetic implications). I was wondering if their was a way to wirelessly connect an EB8 to the main unit or if a wireless AquaBus module may become available in the future (for instance; this would sync with the main display unit and then you could plug your EB8's AquaBus cable directly into the wireless module).

I am thinking my only option at the moment, however, would be to buy an additional APEX. Thoughts?
Thanks!

kurt_n
02/11/2013, 05:07 PM
I can't imagine there will ever be a wireless option to connect an EBx with the main controller. You're passing control voltage with that cable, not just a data stream.

I can understand the aesthetic aspects of the long cable run, but you *can* run a fairly long Aquabus cable. Can't remember the distance, but 200 ft is sticking in my mind. Check the manual for sure. Regardless... you can get a custom "USB" cable made that long, just make sure it does not include signal repeaters. I believe the manual suggests sources for these longer Aquabus cables.