PDA

View Full Version : Maristar II Metal Halide/T5 Fixture: Any experience with this?

Zstriker
02/11/2013, 10:17 PM
I am looking into purchasing the Maristar II...I can't find many reviews on it or know many people that have it....this is likely due to the LED craze, but I am just not ready to take the plunge and wanted a good quality MH/T5 fixture...

If you've used one, how is it?

Do the fans really help keep it cool?

Does it function well?

How heavy is it?

Lastly- Do you recommend an alternative fixture?

Thanks!

moondoggy4
02/11/2013, 10:25 PM
That light is going to be hard to get Sunlight Supply is not going to be in the Aquarium business anymore, I have heard that they are having problems with the fans which I find odd because they had a problem with the Tek Elite and finally fixed that problem. I will be going to the sidewalk sale Feb 23 in Ontario Ca.

jporter
02/11/2013, 11:02 PM
I have used the Maristar for about 2 years now. It is a good light and grows anything in my 30" deep tank. I have the fans ducted into the garage but it does generate some heat. My friend made me a custom mount to use in my canopy. I have been very happy with the light and am in no hurry to change. Jeff

Zstriker
02/12/2013, 12:44 AM
thanks for your input guys....it appear you are correct that the fixture is no longer being made, but I have found it for sale a few online sites....$799.99....just wondering if I should take the plunge or go for a giesemann infiniti.....problem is - the giesemann has no fans, and I am a firm believer in t5s needing to be properly cooled for output and longevity

Zstriker
02/12/2013, 12:45 AM
jporter - you have link to a build thread?