PDA

View Full Version : Quiet ozone equipment?

flyingpolarbear
02/12/2013, 12:05 AM
I'm excited about selecting a new ozone system, but I have to consider the noise generated in the sump below the tank since it is in a quiet room.

I'm looking at the Ozotech Poseidon 200 and the AVAST ozone reactor. Do either of these make much noise? Does the Ozotech make loud spark sounds? Does the AVAST ozone reactor make water noise from the injection venturi?

The luft pump will be noisy, but there is a DIY trick to making those quiet by hanging it by its tail in a thick container, or I can experiment with quieter air pumps that are a little less powerful.

I ruled out the Reef Octopus ozone reactor because it sounds very noisy in the YouTube videos from the water turbulence where the narrow stream of water is injected (reminds me of why I changed my AquaC skimmer).

I noticed that the Enaly ozone generator is extremely noisy, I hope not all of them are so annoyingly loud. I will avoid the Enaly brand.

The other ozone generator I am checking out is the Aqua Medic 100 because it looks like the one made by Sander. I read great things about the Sander ozone generators. I am not sure if the Aqua Medic is just a re-branded Sander model or not.

sirreal63
02/12/2013, 05:57 AM
How big of a tank will it be on? Yes the AquaMedic is identical to the Sanders, other than the label. My Sanders has been rocking along since 2005 and is silent.

I can't help on the noise levels of the reactors or air pumps, I don't use them, I run a very small dose right into the skimmer.

flyingpolarbear
02/12/2013, 10:20 AM
This is for a 75 gallon. Thanks for the info about the Sander being silent. I purchased the AquaMedic 50 right now. It is small. I wrote to the German contact asking about the dimensions - it's only 12.5 x 5 x 7 cm (5" x 2" x 2.75"). The Ozotech 200 unit is huge in comparison to the AquaMedic, the Ozotech is 14.25" x 2.5" x 7.5".

Now, with the ozone generator figured out, I am wondering whether the venturi injection on the Avast ozone reactor is noisy.

jschultzbass
02/12/2013, 12:32 PM
I have the Avast reactor. You can hear the water but it isn't any more noisy then my skimmer or the fan on my ATI fixture. I like the reactor and have had good luck with it. If you are going to go the reactor route you will get some water spraying noise.

flyingpolarbear
02/12/2013, 10:27 PM
I just received my Coralife luft pump. Wow, it is LOUD! So even though the Avast reactor doesn't make much noise, the fact that it requires this kind of heavy duty pump may prevent my ideal ozone reactor setup. Unless I could put the luft pump in the dog house outside and run a 1,000 foot air line to the sump.

buk
03/13/2013, 12:23 PM
wow i didn't realize the ozotech unit was so big. i'm planning on getting one for my system...luckily i will have it in my basement

flyingpolarbear
03/13/2013, 02:20 PM
If size is a concern, check out the AquaMedic ozone generators. I have the AquaMedic 50. It is tiny in comparison to the Ozotech. I'm running it through the skimmer. I confirmed that the AquaMedic is made by Sander.

origreefer
03/13/2013, 04:14 PM
I just got the Avast, they do not have venturi's anymore. It's pretty quiet. I use a red Sea ozonizer, it make no noise.

flyingpolarbear
03/13/2013, 04:28 PM
While the Avast itself is quiet, it's the powerful Luft pump needed to drive such ozone reactors that creates the vibrations. May be ok for most equipment rooms, but if the sump is in a quiet room (near a bedroom or home theater etc.) the Luft pump may create too much vibration.

buk
03/13/2013, 06:19 PM
in the avast reactor where does the air/ozone escape? does it just go through the carbon reactor with the water?

origreefer
03/13/2013, 07:28 PM
in the avast reactor where does the air/ozone escape? does it just go through the carbon reactor with the water?

No, you need to pump air thru a air dryer, then into ozonizer, then into ozone reactor ( where O3 mixes with water), then into carbon reactor (or run effluent from O3 reactor thru carbon) to remove residual ozone. In the old days we use to run ozone thru skimmer, then the output of skimmer thru carbon. I did this for decades and it worked great. You don't necessarily need a carbon reactor but it does ensure all the ozonated water does go thru carbon.

buk
03/14/2013, 02:54 AM
so yes the air/ozone just comes out with the water and passes through the carbon same as the water.

origreefer
03/14/2013, 05:45 AM
A large percentage of the ozone oxidizes as part of the process of cleaning the water, but some residual is left over in the water. This has to be removed, best done by simply running the water out of the reactor over carbon.