View Full Version : new reef tank cycled what next

SUPERSTOCKRACER
02/12/2013, 07:58 AM
Fish 1st or corals 1st?
Refugium w chaeto biopellets are running now
Leds on and 100 astrea snails in with 300 lbs fiji premium rock

Mikelush78
02/12/2013, 08:08 AM
I don’t think it makes a difference to be honest. Once the tank is cycled your good to go!

thegrun
02/12/2013, 08:38 AM
I prefer hardy easy to care for corals first, but most place fish in the tank first.

spieszak
02/12/2013, 08:46 AM
fish are a little more forgiving, and will give you an idea what your maintenance schedule needs to be once there is actually something needing and adding food/waste to the tank. You can do less maintenance (kind of) on coral. Once you add fish, that changes.. and that can throw off your params and schedule.

offroadr
02/12/2013, 12:06 PM
Good luck, hope to have my cycle going soon.

Your screen name says you may have the same other expensive hobby as myself. NHRA Superstock?

igot2gats
02/12/2013, 02:05 PM
Do you have a QT set up? If so, go ahead and get your first fish. Then bring it home, and QT it for 6-8 weeks.

Palting
02/12/2013, 02:11 PM
QT is an excellent idea and almost mandatory for fish.

As to fish or coral first, I suggest fish first. The reason is that most of the coral that can survive a new tank can be pests later. Things like mushrooms, Xenias, GSP, leathers, etc., can overgrow your tank. Once you get fish in there, give it a few months, then you'll be more comfortable as well as knowledgeable about tank maintennce and your capabilities. At that point you can consider getting the more "displayable" coral.

SUPERSTOCKRACER
02/12/2013, 04:27 PM
Good luck, hope to have my cycle going soon.

Your screen name says you may have the same other expensive hobby as myself. NHRA Superstock?

I'm a gluten for punishment NHRA and reef aquariums =deep pockedts and lots of hard work to support these addictions.

Bruno3047
02/12/2013, 10:56 PM
You always want to add your corals first, especially if you plan to add "with caution" type reef-safe dwellers. If you plan to any of these types of fish (pygmy angels, CBB, etc.) you should add ALL of your corals before you add those fish. Once a fish is established and you try to add a new coral, you just know the fish is going to check it out and probably take a nibble to see if he likes how it tastes. If he does, the coral is a goner. If the coral is already in the tank when the fish is introduced, there is less chance of nibbling. Get my drift?

offroadr
02/13/2013, 10:22 PM
I'm a gluten for punishment NHRA and reef aquariums =deep pockedts and lots of hard work to support these addictions.

Indeed, I helped my buddy race Comp Elim for 10 years, he now has a Top Dragster with a screw blown BAE Stage 5 hemi.

I have a '66 Chevelle street/strip car with a 582. Just bought a SFI case glide to replace the one I destroyed last fall :). I have a goal of 8's eventually with a street car once I put the spray to it! :thumbsup: