PDA

View Full Version : Amounts of Carbon and GFO

BSchaible
02/12/2013, 07:18 AM
I'm currently doing a 240 gallon build and am wondering what amounts of carbon and GFO are typically run on a tank of this size.

I'm looking at purchasing a couple of reactors but am not sure if I may need two reactors for each type of media.

Does anyone have any recommendations on which reactors to use?

Thanks!!!

Bobby

Spyderturbo007
02/12/2013, 10:14 AM
This calculator (http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/reef-calculator) will give you everything you need.

tmz
02/12/2013, 10:30 AM
Based on my experience and past recommendations by trusted sources, I'd recommend: :
carbon 1/2cup per 50 gallons changed monthly ;

GFO I'd start with abut 8 tablespoons per 50 gallons and go up from there if necessary.
GFO amounts and chage out times really depend on how much inorganic phosphate is in the water. Some corals react poorly to rapid PO4 depletion particularly in the very low ranges. 8 tablespoons per 50 gallons is a reasonably sized amount to start with , imo.If you are using high capacity gfo , I 'd go with 5 tablespoons.

FabG
02/12/2013, 05:33 PM
Can you run too much carbon? I have an approx. 65 gal system, mixed reef. I am running about 3 cups and using a Eheim canister filter as a reactor. I change out the carbon about every 2 - 3 weeks. Am I overdoing it with the carbon and if so what problems am I causing?

tmz
02/12/2013, 05:37 PM
I think you are just wasting it unless our tank is very dirty in terms of organic compunds. Maybe excessive GAc will knock down iodine levels some.

bertoni
02/12/2013, 09:09 PM
I think that's a lot of carbon, and it might be a bit of a waste, but if the tank is doing well, I'd back off gradually, or not at all.

Excess carbon won't harm anything, well, not in the range you're in. :)

cnguyenl
02/21/2013, 01:10 PM
Based on my experience and past recommendations by trusted sources, I'd recommend: :

GFO I'd start with abut 8 tablespoons per 50 gallons and go up from there if necessary.
GFO amounts and chage out times really depend on how much inorganic phosphate is in the water. Some corals react poorly to rapid PO4 depletion particularly in the very low ranges. 8 tablespoons per 50 gallons is a reasonably sized amount to start with , imo.If you are using high capacity gfo , I 'd go with 5 tablespoons.

per 50 gallons of water volume not the tank capacity, right?

bertoni
02/21/2013, 11:11 PM
I don't think it much matters, since it's a very rough guideline, but I'd guess it's based on the actual water volume in the system.

_Mackus_
02/26/2013, 08:57 AM

Do you have a recommendation between the HC GFO and the regular stuff?

I've been running the HC stuff since about September. I definitely notice a precipitous droop in phosphate when I replace the media. I need to do a better job of weekly testing to keep track of the phosphate levels and knowing when to replace the media. I've been running a cup in a reactor on 125 gal + 30 gal sump system. Have let it go for 6-8 weeks before changing it, but I think I should probably be switching more on the 4-6 week schedule.

I'd like to start running some carbon as well. Will start slow and work up to about a cup to cup and half in a separate reactor. Should the carbon go before or after the GFO if I'm supplying it with the same pump? I've got two valves to control the flow through each reactor.

One small note on your post, 8 tablespoons actually is the same as 1/2 cup.

Thanks!

tmz
02/26/2013, 09:11 AM

I use the HC gfo because: it's relatively dust free ; doesn't grind up to fines in a reactor; tolerates regeneration without disintegrating.
It's much denser and sturdier ; one gallon of regular gfo weighs 4lbs ; a gallon of
HC weighs 7lbs.

_Mackus_
02/26/2013, 09:13 AM

I use the HC gfo because: it's relatively dust free ; doesn't grind up to fines in a reactor; tolerates regeneration without disintegrating.
It's much denser and sturdier ; one gallon of regular gfo weighs 4lbs ; a gallon of
HC weighs 7lbs.

Thanks. I originally bought the HC because I thought I'd give regenerating a try. I'm now through my first half gallon bucket and never got around to trying to regenerate. Maybe I can be a bit more adventurous with the next bucket and get a regeneration attempt going.

tmz
02/26/2013, 02:52 PM
You are welcom. Good luck.