PDA

View Full Version : Water testing...before or after water change?

wurking_girl
02/12/2013, 09:56 AM
Kind of a dumb question, but now that my water parameters are quite stable, I've been checking them weekly when I do a 10% water change. I monitor temp and pH constantly with my Apex, but the actual chem lab only comes out once a week. My question: do I check parameters before or after the water change?

If I do it before, I guess it would tell me if something is really out of whack so I would know to do a larger water change. But by doing it after, seems like it would confirm that everything is in good shape and I'm good to go for another week. So far, I haven't had to do any supplementing (only two small coral frags), and everything really is pretty stable (knock wood).

Just wondering what makes most sense?

gbru316
02/12/2013, 10:07 AM
I'm not sure it matters, as long as you're consistent.

BigAl2007
02/12/2013, 10:11 AM
I always check before with an occasional "after" if I see something is off.

I also send a water sample to an on-line water testing lab 1x every 6 months to get a good Lab Standards test ran. This also gives me online graphing for each tank so I can see any slow long-term trends in my water chemistry.

downbeach
02/12/2013, 10:12 AM
I usually check the DT and make up water before I do a WC, so I can make any adjustments to the water at that time. I do my WC's every two weeks, but check the param's every week.

Spyderturbo007
02/12/2013, 10:38 AM
I do it before and after sometimes just to see what difference the water change makes. After doing that, I found that my Alkalinity shot up a good bit (8.29 - 8.9dKh) because of the IO salt having such a high alkalinity. I'll be switching salt or using HCl to drop the Alkalinity to where I want to maintain the tank.

_shorty_
02/12/2013, 10:46 AM
I always check before with an occasional "after" if I see something is off.

I also send a water sample to an on-line water testing lab 1x every 6 months to get a good Lab Standards test ran. This also gives me online graphing for each tank so I can see any slow long-term trends in my water chemistry.

Who do you use for that?

twf0369
02/12/2013, 10:48 AM
I check mine before a water change and then sometimes afterwards. I think consistency is key.

thegrun
02/12/2013, 11:27 AM
I always check afterwards to determine if I need to make any adjustments (additives).

BigAl2007
02/12/2013, 12:33 PM
Aquarium Water Testing
http://www.aquariumwatertesting.com/

gbru316
02/12/2013, 12:50 PM
I do it before and after sometimes just to see what difference the water change makes. After doing that, I found that my Alkalinity shot up a good bit (8.29 - 8.9dKh) because of the IO salt having such a high alkalinity. I'll be switching salt or using HCl to drop the Alkalinity to where I want to maintain the tank.

I killed 2 montipora frags this way. I've since switched to tropic marin pro.

Spyderturbo007
02/12/2013, 02:56 PM
I killed 2 montipora frags this way. I've since switched to tropic marin pro.

Which way, by the Alk spike or adding HCl to the new saltwater to drop the alkalinity? Haven't done the HCl thing yet, but theoretically, its safe.

gbru316
02/12/2013, 03:08 PM
Which way, by the Alk spike or adding HCl to the new saltwater to drop the alkalinity? Haven't done the HCl thing yet, but theoretically, its safe.

alk spike due to IO.