PDA

View Full Version : White cheek sudden death

Mstark11
02/12/2013, 11:40 AM
Bought a white cheek from my LFS, real beauty of a fish, he seemed fine for 1 or 2 days, swimming around the tank in big laps, he was eating on the 3rd morning, and when i came home that night he was on his side, seeming to breathe normally. Few hours later he died. I was up all night waiting for him, once I noticed he was gone, I took him out asap. I didn't want to leave a ticking ammonia bomb alone all night.

My One-spot Foxface started hanging out at the top of the tank, behind a cord for my powerhead, in camo last night. He survived the night just fine, but he's still doing it. I bought the tang as a replacement for an angel I lost last week, so the foxface wouldn't be by himself (Him and the angel were together since my fox was 3/4" long). Is it possible that losing 2 friends in 2 weeks is making him hang out at the top?

I also have 2 clownfish, the male was hanging out at the top for a while, but now it seems they've hosted my cabbage coral. I don't know if that's concerning behavior for clowns to host non-stinging corals, or if my clowns are just really sad and a little confused.

Checked params last night, and nothing was really anymore abnormal than usual. No one seems to have any burns, or red gills.

I also lost all 4 bulbs yesterday morning on one of my lights, going to get replacements today, but could the change in lighting effect my fish's behavior? I have a small single-bright LED I've been using as a moonlight turned on right now to sort of supplement.

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: ~30 (it's always been a little high.)
temp: 78-79
Salinity: 1.024

Tank's been up for around 9mo. Great coralline growth (too great.:angryfire:)

MrTuskfish
02/12/2013, 12:06 PM
I really don't think most fish care if other fish are around or not. They're fish.

It sounds like you're not quarantining new fish and the tang could have brought a parasite into the tank. Your nitrate reading may bother some corals; but won't hurt fish at all. Any spots on any fish, unusual behavior? Tank size??

Mstark11
02/12/2013, 01:04 PM
No ich, no protrusions, the tang didn't have any burns, or cuts, or visible signs of a parasite. only unusual behavior is the fox siting at the top. He runs when i get near the tank, which is sort of normal, but it's never this bad.

Mstark11
02/12/2013, 11:25 PM
I think I found the cause for the weird behavior in the Fox. For whatever WEIRD reason, my back power head has been unplugged twice in the last 9 months. The cord pulled out of the surge protector and dragged behind the tank. So it's been off for several days and I never noticed. The Fox was sitting on it last night and this morning, after plugging it in, he's fine and out in front again.

How weird.