PDA

View Full Version : Rapid Led Actinic Kit for Viewing

Justdrew
02/12/2013, 06:48 PM
I originally posted this in the lighitng forum, but was suggested I may have a better response in DIY. So here goes.

I am looking to add the 12 led dimmable actinic kit to my tank to give me more viewing time outside of running the MH. I am not looking for growth attaining par numbers, just for viewing. I will ramp them up and down via my Apex. My question is, is the tank "viewable" with just the royal blues that come with the kit, or would I be better served adding a couple UV's or cool whites? The kit's configuration is a 24" long x 1.4" wide heatsink. This will be hung at the front of the tank out of the way of the lumenbright pendant. Any suggestions or ideas for led choices? Or just leave it how it comes?

Thanks
Drew

Wmich2008
02/12/2013, 07:09 PM
I run only Royal blue leds at night, it is plenty for what I think your trying to accomplish. With the uv leds you really need to run them separate to notice them. I also run them for the last hour before everything goes off.

williewilliams
02/12/2013, 07:55 PM
I run 9 royal blues with 3 UV purple LEDs from Rapid to do exactly the same thing your after. It works great for me and the tank is fully viewable when the MH is off. Also the coral is growing much faster and looking healthier now. I think running the LEDs helped my spectrum issues.

kevantheman35
02/12/2013, 07:56 PM
I run 7 of them on my 20" cube and it is very bright

Justdrew
02/20/2013, 01:49 PM
After conversing with Rapid Led a little and seeing other posts, I have decided to go with RB mixed with some UV. My question is how many UV's? Should I go 10 RB & 2 UV or 8 RB & 4 UV. Will running the RB's at 750mA that the UV requires make them that much dimmer?

Thanks
Drew

sfsuphysics
02/20/2013, 04:07 PM
Careful their "UV" LEDs are rated at a max of 700mA IIRC.

the "UV" will be dimmer regardless, the eye isn't very sensitive to that wavelength, in fact it's not terribly sensitive to the RB either, both will make the tark look very dark with a bluish hue over it, the majority of coloration that you'll see would be fluorescence of corals and that's it. If you're looking for VIEWING time, I would mix in some whites in with the royal blues instead, if you just want to see all the fluorescing pigments, then stick with the royal blues, the UV will do it as well although I'm not sure how much.

celamb89
02/20/2013, 04:13 PM
Go with 1 UV for every 4 RB

williewilliams
02/20/2013, 08:06 PM
I second the 1 uv for every 4 RB. That is a decent mix and color. Mines is basically this mix and it looks great.