PDA

View Full Version : Tank Cycle

rdjromy
02/13/2013, 01:13 AM
Hello All
I have a 75 gallon DT and 35 gal sump refugium. I started my deep sand bed 4" depth a month ago all sand and live rock came from our reef here in Guam 6 minute drive from the beach. I notice that there are no nitrogen gas build up on the sand or worm activities like i normally see in youtube or other website . What is the reason why my deep sand bed is not going on this phase of cycle?

teo241
02/13/2013, 07:51 AM
If you started with live rock 6 minutes from the ocean, it was already established with bacteria, and any cycle you may have had was probably brief and is complete by now.

As for the reason you may have no nitrogen gas in your sand bed, perhaps it is because you don't have enough life in the tank (I'm assuming you didn't add anything yet) to produce waste to be broken down to nitrogen.

Have you done any testing of the water such as ammonia, nitrate etc? That would give you a better idea of where the cycle is and how to proceed.

HTH

rdjromy
02/14/2013, 05:45 AM
All my parameters are ok nitrate,nitrite,ammonia and phosphate are undetectable, I already put 1 yellow tang, 3 zebra and also i'm using natural sea water .

acabgd
02/14/2013, 06:05 AM
i'm using natural sea water .
Lucky you :D

r-balljunkie
02/15/2013, 12:30 AM
i started with fresh LR and NSW. i find you can add fish and soft corals immediately. you will still need to exercise some patience with adding SPS. IMO, it still takes a year for everything to settle down in the tank. you wont have worms unless the live sand you put in your tank has worms. do you really need a DSB? its argumentative how effective they are. i keep a sand bed, aesthetics only..

good luck!

c