Rpogge2
02/13/2013, 12:49 PM
:headwallblue:

90 gallon
Mag 1400
Alk 9
Alk demand about 2/day
CA 500

I dose kalk via a kalkreactor tied to my top off, but I don't have all that much evap... so
I am dosing 36ml of ESV per day, 3ml every two hours, with part a and b staggered by 1 hour.

That seems to keep my alk where I want it, but my CA is through the roof

I ran through a whole gallon of 2 part as was advised, in equal dosing.
and my alk has been good, but my CA has risen from 470 to 500 over that time. I am getting all kinds of precipitation on my heater and pumps etc.

My question is should I not does equal parts, I asked before and everyone said dose equal parts and everything should level out, and I have seen that same response to other peoples posts ... but it hasn't leveled out.
Any ideas?

Could it be because I am dosing into my sump instead of my display causing some kind of local imbalance (but im staggered an our apart so that doesnt make much sense)?

gbru316
02/13/2013, 12:50 PM
You're dosing kalk AND 2 part?

stingythingy45
02/13/2013, 12:58 PM
"I ran through a whole gallon of 2 part as was advised, in equal dosing"

You DO NOT need to dose them equally.
You can put more alk in than calcium to even up the parameters.
I often dose 120ml of alk and only 60 ml of calcium.
I also top off with kalk as well.

It all depends on what you tank consumes.

gbru316
02/13/2013, 01:03 PM
"I ran through a whole gallon of 2 part as was advised, in equal dosing"

You DO NOT need to dose them equally.
You can put more alk in than calcium to even up the parameters.
I often dose 120ml of alk and only 60 ml of calcium.
I also top off with kalk as well.

It all depends on what you tank consumes.

Isn't the consumption of alk/ca a ratio, and 2 part is formulated in the same ratio?

stingythingy45
02/13/2013, 01:34 PM
Isn't the consumption of alk/ca a ratio, and 2 part is formulated in the same ratio?

Nothing is written in stone in this hobby.
I know folks that sometimes have to"correct"and use more calsium than alk.
No two tanks are the same.

disc1
02/13/2013, 02:26 PM

Yes but often one is using a salt mix that isn't exactly the same parameters as one keeps in the tank and water changes end up driving one parameter up or down relative to the other.

Rpogge2
02/15/2013, 11:43 AM

See, thats what I thought too.

Rpogge2
02/15/2013, 11:47 AM
Yes but often one is using a salt mix that isn't exactly the same parameters as one keeps in the tank and water changes end up driving one parameter up or down relative to the other.

This makes sense.. sort of.
Seachem reef salt... I test my WC batches at about 480 ca, I would think if i am depleting alk and ca at some fixed ratio, and i am only dosing 2 part to keep my alk at a set stable level .. then my ca shouldn't go above what the starting ca level in the WC is. although I am keeping my alk at about 1 higher(9dkh) than what the WC mixes at (8dkh)

So I think this makes sense.

Rpogge2
02/15/2013, 11:48 AM
You're dosing kalk AND 2 part?

Yes, I was trying to minimize 2 part usage.
should I just eat the little bit of extra $ and just up the two part and eliminate kalk .. I thought kalk had other benefits such as binding up phosphates though ...

Rpogge2
02/15/2013, 11:50 AM
Nothing is written in stone in this hobby.
I know folks that sometimes have to"correct"and use more calsium than alk.
No two tanks are the same.

OK, I think I will drop the kalk, and start treating the alk/ca portions of the 2 part as two separate things ..and adjust each according to what my tank needs.

I had just heard so many times that you dose them equally because the consumption is linked at a fixed ratio... that I couldn't accept dosing them at different rates.

bertoni
02/15/2013, 06:44 PM
The consumption is at a mostly fixed rate, but there are other issues, including water changes, involved. This article has more:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-12/rhf/index.htm