PDA

View Full Version : Which do you suggest

dirt1008
02/13/2013, 04:37 PM
I'm about to buy the TEK T5 6 bulb for $300 without bulbs. Anyone think I should spend my money on a different light? I have a 55 and plan on keeping all types of corals.

dirt1008
02/13/2013, 05:44 PM
Would really like some opinions here

mordibv
02/13/2013, 06:17 PM
Sounds great . Just make sure to use a fan to blow on the bulbs .
U should be able to keep anything .

dirt1008
02/13/2013, 06:48 PM
So the TEK without the fan isn't worth it? Should I buy a different fixture?

mordibv
02/13/2013, 07:34 PM
Oh .. I didn't say that . It just runs way better with a fan blowing on it .
If you feel that takes away from the looks of the tank ,then I would look into a ATI Sunpower .

Ron Reefman
02/14/2013, 06:34 AM
At $300 without bulbs, and needing 6 bulbs at $20 ea is another $120 and you'll need more bulbs every 6-12 months.

Have you looked at the Chinese led thread? You could buy 2 EverGrow D120 leds with dimmers for about $360 delivered and they will grow anything and no bulb expense.

C Dog
02/14/2013, 08:17 AM
I think $300 with no bulbs is too much......

rtparty
02/14/2013, 09:48 AM
A 4 bulb ATI is a much better choice for a 55. Especially since Tek is out of business.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Dmorty217
02/14/2013, 09:54 AM
Way too much, like some mentioned before at 20$ a bulb for middle of the road bulbs needing to be replaced every 8-12 months I would pass on the fixture. Rapid led just came out with their onyx fixture that has a ton of par( my LFS purchased one and we par tested it) and is priced right, I'm purchasing 1 in a group buy to put on my 220g along with a Radion to see the effects of coral over a years time

bigpuffer1
02/14/2013, 11:11 AM
A 4 bulb ATI is a much better choice for a 55. Especially since Tek is out of business.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

are they really? sunlight supply appears to be in buisness

GSMguy
02/14/2013, 03:23 PM
Sunlight has dropped their aquatic line, but the horticulture side is still open.

dirt1008
02/14/2013, 05:04 PM
So what brand Chinese LED? How many do I need to buy? Anybody have experience with them?

dirt1008
02/15/2013, 05:31 AM
I'm thinking 2 of the reef breeders value LED fixtures with 120 degree optics. Any objections or better options?

rtparty
02/15/2013, 09:02 AM
I'm thinking 2 of the reef breeders value LED fixtures with 120 degree optics. Any objections or better options?

Yeah, skip LEDs.

Let the flaming begin....:p

Sent from my Galaxy S3

s_luark
02/15/2013, 09:17 AM
Here's the deal, if your going to do t5, call/contact reefgeek.com about their factory seconds, it might have a ding or a scratch but you could get an ati sunpower (perhaps dimmable) for 20-50% off!! Give it a try. This is hands down the best t5 fixture money can buy and at that discount it's a steal.

If led is the route you want to go, here's my 2 cents.

rapids onyx fixture is 279each, and you woul want 2. (non dimmable) the dimmable versions should be about in 2-3 months for just over 300$.

Kessil is a solid option and if you look around you may find a pair of 350s for 750 or so. The gooseneck is a sleek look and allows for top down viewing. They're dimmable and are one of the more proven led lights.

dirt1008
02/15/2013, 11:09 AM
Yeah, skip LEDs.

Let the flaming begin....:p

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Why don't you like LED's? I'd like to hear the bad along with the good

dirt1008
02/15/2013, 11:12 AM
Here's the deal, if your going to do t5, call/contact reefgeek.com about their factory seconds, it might have a ding or a scratch but you could get an ati sunpower (perhaps dimmable) for 20-50% off!! Give it a try. This is hands down the best t5 fixture money can buy and at that discount it's a steal.

If led is the route you want to go, here's my 2 cents.

rapids onyx fixture is 279each, and you woul want 2. (non dimmable) the dimmable versions should be about in 2-3 months for just over 300$.

Kessil is a solid option and if you look around you may find a pair of 350s for 750 or so. The gooseneck is a sleek look and allows for top down viewing. They're dimmable and are one of the more proven led lights.

I talked to reefgeek, and they said they have two factory second ATI's at 390. That's without bulbs. Still a lot of money and ill need new bulbs every year.

rtparty
02/15/2013, 03:40 PM
Why don't you like LED's? I'd like to hear the bad along with the good

Because after 18 months with them I wasn't totally happy. I can't believe how my corals responded when I went back to T5s. All of them are much happier now and color is coming back.

All the led fan boys will say, "you had the incorrect setup and wattage", "you used the wrong LEDs and didn't acclimate." Yada yada yada....

This isn't my first rodeo. I wanted LEDs to work. I tried longer than just about anybody to make them work. They just didn't satisfy me.

Yearly bulb replacement costs is minimal to me compared to everything else in this hobby.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Allmost
02/15/2013, 03:50 PM
Because after 18 months with them I wasn't totally happy. I can't believe how my corals responded when I went back to T5s. All of them are much happier now and color is coming back.

All the led fan boys will say, "you had the incorrect setup and wattage", "you used the wrong LEDs and didn't acclimate." Yada yada yada....

This isn't my first rodeo. I wanted LEDs to work. I tried longer than just about anybody to make them work. They just didn't satisfy me.

Yearly bulb replacement costs is minimal to me compared to everything else in this hobby.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

well you still can not say LEDs dont work :) that's too general.

light packets are light packets, corals do not care who made them :)

so for sure you have used not the wrong ones, but something not correct :)

or do you think light produced by LED is hated by corals ?

rtparty
02/15/2013, 03:56 PM
well you still can not say LEDs dont work :) that's too general.

light packets are light packets, corals do not care who made them :)

so for sure you have used not the wrong ones, but something not correct :)

or do you think light produced by LED is hated by corals ?

How many of your tanks have LEDs? How long have you personally run them?

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Allmost
02/15/2013, 03:59 PM
How many of your tanks have LEDs? How long have you personally run them?

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Why are you making it personal ?

I study, use, design and make LEDs for living. so please answer the question ...

do you think corals discriminate against LEDs ?

do you think light packets or photons are different ?

if not, then you should say LEDs didnt work for me :) you can not make a general statement like that.

but anyways, i see on your first post on this thread you said "Let the flaming begin..." so I guess it was just to stir the pot ...

that Fish Guy
02/15/2013, 06:40 PM
Interesting I never knew about this factory seconds thing. Do others like marine depot do this too? Anybody know where I can get a razor led for half price?

rtparty
02/16/2013, 01:58 AM
Why are you making it personal ?

I study, use, design and make LEDs for living. so please answer the question ...

do you think corals discriminate against LEDs ?

do you think light packets or photons are different ?

if not, then you should say LEDs didnt work for me :) you can not make a general statement like that.

but anyways, i see on your first post on this thread you said "Let the flaming begin..." so I guess it was just to stir the pot ...

I believe there is something missing in LEDs. I can't prove this but I've used the "full spectrum" units on the market and they just lacked something.

My corals have done much better under T5s. Water chemistry hasn't changed a bit. I'm not the only one who has had this experience either.

So something is missing for me and countless others.

Btw, my question was sincere. How many of your tanks have LEDs?

Sent from my Galaxy S3

GSMguy
02/16/2013, 07:52 AM
Interesting I never knew about this factory seconds thing. Do others like marine depot do this too? Anybody know where I can get a razor led for half price?

A razor at half price? Doubtful, but it might be worth contacting chris@coralvue.

GSMguy
02/16/2013, 07:53 AM
I believe there is something missing in LEDs. I can't prove this but I've used the "full spectrum" units on the market and they just lacked something.

My corals have done much better under T5s. Water chemistry hasn't changed a bit. I'm not the only one who has had this experience either.

So something is missing for me and countless others.

Btw, my question was sincere. How many of your tanks have LEDs?

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Just ignore him.