PDA

View Full Version : No algae at all...bad?

Ryand63
02/13/2013, 08:35 PM
Just thinking if having no algae at all is a bad thing? I have a 55 fowlr and like to keep my 4 walls completely clean. Is there any advantage to letting algae grow say ono the back wall? I feed my cleanup crew every othter day but would the fish benefit more thtan just having the algae on the rocks (what little there is)?

Ryand63
02/14/2013, 10:53 AM
bump

Bigcefa
02/14/2013, 11:31 AM
Haha no it's not a bad thing that's what people try to strive for, keep it clean!

thebkramer
02/14/2013, 11:34 AM
I also keep all 4 walls clean

I also have a 55g.. I do let the back, bottom center of the tank build up so that way some of my fishies can eat off of it (like my starry blenny) but you can't see that part of the glass.. so it doesn't matter to me lol

Vanquishxxxx
02/14/2013, 09:14 PM
If u have no corals like u say, then keep it spotless , doesn't matter. As long as u feed ur fish, ur inverts will get fed. U wanna spotted go ahead enjoy. But nothing wrong with keeping it clean.

Palting
02/14/2013, 11:26 PM
Some herbivores like to graze all day, like tangs and pygmy angels, so having algae is good for them . Some invertebrates, like some urchins, feed on algae and nothing else, so will die without it. I keep my back wall with algae, and actually am working to overfeed just the right amount to get just enough algae without it being an eyesore so my herbivores and urchins can eat.

Ryand63
02/15/2013, 03:16 PM
That's what I thoughts the only fish I have that may graze is a dwarf Angel. Other than that I'd imagine my cuc just hermits and snails get enough from excess food

Bigcefa
02/15/2013, 11:58 PM
IMO keep the tank clean! You don't want algae growing anywhere really it's a sign of phos. You can't stop the film algae on glass . You can supplement algae strips into a fishes diet and trust me cuc don't need you to grow algae for them they scavenge and even if they do die are easily replaceable