PDA

View Full Version : Looking to Upgrade Lighting

csauer52
02/14/2013, 06:13 AM
Hi everyone, I'm looking for advice on a lighting upgrade.

150 gallon, 72" SPS only tank. I've been running a Current USA 72" fixture over this for years and to be honest, have never really gotten the colors/growth I expect. Water params are pretty solid which leaves me thinking lighting is the issue.

What would you use if you were to start fresh with new lighting over a 72" tank?

Thanks!

phenom5
02/14/2013, 06:55 AM
Depends, what's your budget like?

ClownNut
02/14/2013, 07:12 AM
ATI 60" 6 or 8 bulbs. you have to hang the fixture that's the only issue.

csauer52
02/14/2013, 08:30 AM
Depends, what's your budget like?

Willing to spend to get the *right* lighting. I don't feel like the Current's are there which has me hesitant on another mh/t5 combo although I here very good things about the Giesemann line...

reefinsomnia
02/14/2013, 02:05 PM
Hey im in the same exact situation! Going from 10 t5s to 3 Ecotech Radion pros this weekend. Have over $2500 in sps so why not go with the best

phenom5
02/14/2013, 02:24 PM
Willing to spend to get the *right* lighting. I don't feel like the Current's are there which has me hesitant on another mh/t5 combo although I here very good things about the Giesemann line...

I agree with ClownNut's recommendation of the ATI PM if you're looking for T5s.

If you're thinking of going a different route...I'm a big fan of Radiums w/ lumenbrite reflectors. Just based solely on the lighting, that's probably my favorite setup out there.

Definitely some interesting options LED-wise. If you've got the cash, I'd go with Mitras fixtures, but they cost a pretty penny and then some. Maxspect Razors look pretty sharp. And I've heard a lot of really good things about the ReefBreeders Photon LED fixtures, which I'm considering myself.